COMPATIBILITY

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlsaPhil

COMPATIBILITY

Post by AlsaPhil »

Discovering on several forums that the question of hardware compatibility is an essential question, in connection with adopting Linux, I propose this topic:
every Mint user can present here the material (s)he's working with, developing what is good and what is... not so good :lol:
At second, it could be a help for members who are searching for new (or better) material.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlsaPhil

MSI S262-W1

Post by AlsaPhil »

100% Linux Mint Bea, working in a M$ world... Office (OOo Writer, Calc Impress), Internet, Emailing, Chatting with my kids, Music and DVDs, sometimes watching the nice pictures I did... That's all I do with this machine! And it runs fantastic, without need of Microsoft. And my colleagues are wondering about look, compatibility and software price :lol:
Everything is ok, incl. SD-Cards Drive. WiFi no problem. Connection to printer (EPSON STYLUS C86) top and efficient.
On travel, easy Internet connection in hotels or Airports.
What I am missing? Hibernation and Sleep function and a god bluetooth programm... But may be I am too newbie for this :oops:
Conclusion: a good combination for frequent travelers 8)
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pashabear »

Interesting AlsaPhil, you say your SD-Card drive is working? By that you mean a built-in card reader? I have one on my Asus M5200N, but don't know how to use it. When I plug in a card it doesn't pop up a window to browse, as it does with a USB drive etc here's what /var/log/messages looks like:

Code: Select all

Mar 26 22:04:10 pooh kernel: [17180000.860000] pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
Mar 26 22:04:10 pooh kernel: [17180000.860000] pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
Can you or anyone else tell me what to do, if there is any way I can use this?
Thanks
pb
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

everything works okay in my home too...

I have central router/firewall computer (P2 with 64mb ram) running IPcop linux.

File/Printer Server - (P2 with 200mb RAM) running ubuntu edgy and providing centralised file sharing and shared printer to all linux and windows comps in the home network - the printers are
HP LaserJet 2100 - works great out of the box
Canon Pixma iP1500 - had to add some japanese repos and install driver, found info on ubuntu howtos in Chech... :)

My gaming computer is Athlon64 3800+ /w 1GB RAM and nVidia GeForce 7800 GT - everything runs great

My GF is using Athlon XP 1500+ with 512 MB RAM and it runs great

My parents which are two houses away use Sempron 2300+ with 256 RAM and it runs great - Mint gave them a great boost in performance as oposed to XP (this computer was sold with XP preinstalled)...

What I am missing is:
perfect compatibility between MS Office and Open Office... I had quite a few "complicated" MS office documents open like jibberish in OO... mainly complicated headers and footers with logos textboxes etc....

Ability to open CDR files (Corel Draw).

BUT MOST OF ALL... GAMES ... I want to play my games when I'm chilling out, and I always have to boot into that hellspawn OS to do it... I found some cool Linux native games, but they can't really compare .... on the other hand wine is nowhere near "great".... hardly usable for most games I tried, and I'd never want to play my games with less performance and horrible graphics ...

Return to “Hardware Support”