Install from the Harddrive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Install from the Harddrive

Post by Danceman »

Hello everyone its my first time here. I love Linux Mint.

I have a old Toshiba Protege 3410ct which doesn't have anyway to boot from, no cdrom, no bootable usb, no floppy drive, just my harddrive. I do have a harddrive atapter so I can but things on the drive. So what I ask and haven't found a way, is to put the Mint cd on the harddrive so when i turn on the computer it will run does install files and start installing, almost like does new OEM computers that at first turn on, starts installing Windows. Is there a way to do this with Linux Mint?

It has 192 MB of ram, 6 GB of harddrive. I had Windows XP for years on it. But when i tried to install Xubuntu, I didn't use the alternative cd and ruined the installation and lost the bootable Windows capabilities. Which Linux Mint should I use, the Fluxbox one or XFCE one?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Install from the Harddrive

Post by Fornhamfred »

HI

Have a look at this link it may help, alternatively do a search in the Ubuntu forums.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ive#p22675

With only 192mb ram I think you will not be able to load Mint 5 or 6 both of which need 512mb on initial load. Will run on much less after installation. Also 6gb hard drive will be very tight.

Good Luck
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Danceman »

Fornhamfred wrote:HI

Have a look at this link it may help, alternatively do a search in the Ubuntu forums.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ive#p22675

With only 192mb ram I think you will not be able to load Mint 5 or 6 both of which need 512mb on initial load. Will run on much less after installation. Also 6gb hard drive will be very tight.

Good Luck
Thx, i was look at this: http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/in ... -from.html

I think its something similar.

On my mac book Mint 5 is on a 4gb virtual disk. Its going to be more a netbook for my father to surf the web. The prob will be the 192 mb. I think I can do it with Xubuntu alternative installation, does Linux Mint have a text base installation?
hoe

Post by hoe »

How could you lose the ability to boot up a bootable CD? That is controlled by the BIOS not XP or Xubuntu. Is the BIOS set to boot from CD?

Wayne
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Danceman »

hoe wrote:How could you lose the ability to boot up a bootable CD? That is controlled by the BIOS not XP or Xubuntu. Is the BIOS set to boot from CD?

Wayne
This computer doesn't have a cdrom. If I want to use a cd rom it has to be with a USB one and the bios is old and it doesn't boot from a usb (if i understand this old bios anyway)
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Danceman »

I was reading this page: http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/in ... -from.html

It assumes you have Windows installed to boot, is the a way with Linux to make a harddrive bootable?
hoe

Post by hoe »

With laptops as cheap as they are these days l think if l were you l'd turf that thing ... l like a challenge too but there is a line there somewhere?

Wayne
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Danceman »

Ok but I did have Windows Xp on it for many years with a Blackbox variate, bbclean. I lost it because I tried to install Xubuntu but not the alternative one (text base install) and it froze up and ruined my partition.

If I can't put Linux than Windows it will be. But I'm still stuck at one point and I thought it would be easier to do with Linux, which was make the harddisk bootable. I haven't had success with windows either because I can only create bootable, cd, floppy and usb. I did put a Windows XP image from a virtual XP and it booted but after a bit it stopped because it most of detected another computer and driver didn't work.

I'm a Linux novice user but I have found that Linux uses Grub to boot up. How can I make a hard disk boot with grub? Maybe I just have to find a app (windows or linux) that formats and makes bootable hard disks? Any ideas?
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Perhaps this might be a solution to your problem.

http://polishlinux.org/installation/ins ... -cd-drive/

Return to “Installation & Boot”