Sound from both laptop speakers and external speakers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Markus

Sound from both laptop speakers and external speakers

Post by Markus »

Hi!
I have tried searching google for my problem, but I can't seem to find the solution to my problem, even though there obviously are other people having the same problem (mostly in different tastes of Ubuntu). None of the solutions I saw on other sites is working for my system. The weirdest thing about this problem is this: Yesterday I installed Linux Mint 5 (Elyssa), and did no configuration of the audio, except choosing the audio-mixer to use under wine, to get music playing from Spotify. This night I wanted to try to upgrade from Elyssa to Felicia, but it went wrong, and I installed Elyssa from a CD again. This time, the problem described in the text under and in the topic-title came along, even though I haven't configured any audio-options (yet).

My problem is that when I am playing music (or any other sound), the sound is coming from both the laptop speakers and the external speakers or headphones plugged into the mini-jack.

I'm currently running Linux Mint 5 (Elyssa) on a HP Compaq nx6325. HP's website is saying this about the audio for my laptop:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 7_div.HTML
PremierSound audio/speaker subsystem
ADI1981HD High Definition CODEC
Integrated 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro compatible audio
24-bit DAC
Integrated stereo speakers
Integrated microphone
External volume up, volume down, and mute buttons
Stereo headphone/line out
Stereo microphone in
I'm sorry if I explain in a hard and non-understandable way, and you have to tell me if I really do, because then I will try again. Thank you. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Sound from both laptop speakers and external speakers

Post by Husse »

This must be an old laptop, or?
Because
Integrated 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro compatible audio
does not exactly sound new to me
Unfortunately I do not have any solution at hand
Run lspci in a terminal and post here (right click to copy)
There may be some clue there
Husse

Post by Husse »

I thought the turning off of the speakers is done inside the card when it senses something is plugged in, independant of the operating system and the rest of the computer
Unfortunately this is not the case.....
Markus

Post by Markus »

Thank you for trying to help, guys. But after a couple of restarts, the problem fixed itself, and I have no idea what made it fix itself. Might just have been a problem when initializing the sound-card?

Return to “Beginner Questions”