The pain... the horrible pain....

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I felt a need to share this with you guys :) I just finished my seventh or so installation of mint... went to install it to my parents computer..... I was pretty confident in myself but here... it took me approx TEN (10) hours to configure it... ARGHHH!!

Couldn't install nvidia driver for the life of me... I tried every combination of envy, than automatix2 and finaly various howtos... in the end I went with the driver from http://www.nvidia.com. Didn't work either. Said I needed legacy drivers... than I went with their legacy drivers, and it was the first time I managed to get into X with nvidia driver.... of course... glx didn't work... naturally. Than I proceeded to do an envy manual install of legacy driver and NOW it finally worked... all the while I had some sort of kernel error with compilation :? :? :? :shock: :shock: :x :x :x this is the only way that I finally got the damn geforce 2 mx 400 to work... it took me approx. 7 hours

printer... canon... gwah! After testing and trying and surfing, I finally found a .. !!! Ubuntu - CHECH howto for the installation of pixma ip1500 that I needed... I don't speak chech, but I was so desparate that I found a way to understand it and it finally worked.

USB speakers... these only took me hald an hour ot figure out I have to set them as default sound card in mintConfig, and than some more to repeat the process for each one of the 6 users defined on the comp...

there... a day well used :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
But you got it installed :), congratulations

Could have been a lot worse, you could have been installing Gentoo :)

Nick
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Did you try just installing it from the normal repositories?
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

yes :) there was always some problem with compiling nvidia kernel... it only worked when I used the legacy driver/script from http://www.nvidia.com

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”