Can I Partition This?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: Can I Partition This?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hi there,

Did you try using the partition editor on the Linux Mint LiveCD?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Can you access the partition editor from the mintmenu before installing on the LiveCD?
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Ok,

There are a couple of things that might help you out.

If you are able to boot to a CD:

a. Boot to the Live CD version of the Mint version that you are using.
b. BEFORE you attempt to install, go to System -> QTParted (for KDE) or System ->GParted (for Gnome). Launch the partition editor.
c. Checkout you partitions and in single steps:
- reduce the size of your NTFS partition by about 10G (resizing by moving from RIGHT to LEFT)
- The new space should show up as "unallocated".
d. Exit the partition editor and now try the install. Select the option for using unallocated (or available space).

If the above does not work, re-post back here and someone will guide you through pre-partitioning before install.

DataMan
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Additional note on the re-sizing. Attempt to reduce the size of your NTFS partition ONLY if you have at LEAST 15-20G of unused space on the partition. If your NTFS partition is fully utilized report back.

DataMan
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

For obvious reasons, you CANNOT do any work on the active ops partition. I would recommend using either the LiveCD and do your partition work within it, OR, use the GParted Live tool to do you partition editing. Going the GParted Live route is quicker to boot into the partition editor than going through the run-up of the Mint LiveCD. It also makes up an essential part of my overall toolkit to maintain things.

DataMan

Return to “Beginner Questions”