stupid questions - many - so just a start...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

stupid questions - many - so just a start...

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Sorry - These were intended for Merlwiz; but he is on holiday...

I use gnoome main edition of Daryna. I like it and am happy as such. I use macs otherthan this one thinkpad running Daryna exclusively. Most things work, otherthan the fancy eye candy and cannot get a dock happening which I want for many reasons. Saw Dreamlinux and trid that - which i never try other distro's since Mint works so well. It has a dock that works - wireless doesn't and resolution is bad news. I like E17 though complex to learn and most distro's do not have codecs which i need. So I have been looking at XFCE. Tried Elyssa Mint 5 live CD mode over the weekend. But I am confused and need more info.

why firefox and not iceweasel? as DL has? Why no DOCK? I do not like panels if i do not need them or 2 of them...I like a dock down on the bottom a la my macs. makes it easy for physical habit of use.

Is there a manual for XFCE MINT? there are a lot of settings and aspects there that I was trying out - some stayed and some went back to default as in a glitch. How do I know what some of them are actually supposed to be doing when I tweak some of these facets. How can I get the mouse doubleclick to not happen...It makes me click open stuff all over the place. There were maybe 5 more question but i am on my first cup of coffee and my brain is still a bit fuzzy this A.M.

ahhh - how glitchy is this vs. reg. main gnome edition?

thank you for your patience. I am not a fan of KDE - not starting anything - like gnome and Mint gnome is elegant. Just reminds me in so many ways of Microsoft sorry to say. Trying to make things more similar to what i am used to for the right brain left brain syndrome, if you know what I mean...

so i am interested in XFCE.

I recently tweaked my gnome a bit to help me out but am interested in this XFCE. I have a fast enought computer to run gnome - not sure if XFCE is a step ahead or behind??? serious question. Like a simple and fast OS. Hence my interest.

Enough of my post - thanks again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: stupid questions - many - so just a start...

Post by exploder »

Wow! That's a lot of questions! I will try and answer some of them.

There is no dock by default. The Xfce CE strives for the same elegant look as the main edition. You can probably get some help on the forum to set up a dock, many here seem to have them set up and I am sure someone will be nice enough to give you a hand. Firefox and Iceweasel are exactly the same, just different branding. Firefox has the advantage of being recognised by most sites where Iceweasel maay be displayed as unsupported. The settings for the mouse are in the menu, it does take a little time to get used to where things are but you will get used to it real quick.

Merlwiz79 does an excellent job on the Xfce CE and he adds features that other Xfce based distributions do not have by default. You will find that there are much more than just codecs installed by default! Oh, there is a shortcut in Firefox that provides information about Xfce and many of the features.Everything is very well covered in this edition, you will find it matches the main editions features, so it is very complete.

I hope this covers some of the questions you have asked.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: stupid questions - many - so just a start...

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

yes - thanks exploder! A Lot of questions... There is not way to turn off the double clicking. I looked and tried. But there may be another area i missed. But not in the mouse settings area.

Iceweasel...That makes sense. Had to ask because DL uses it. I have never tried it and never knew the problem.

The dock - probably won;t work on my laptop. doesn't in Gnome Daryna. Worked in live cd for DL though. which is why i am wondering why one way it works and in another distro it doesn't. weird.

last question when is this newest version due out then? I may wait to try that one first.

another quastion. what is the advantages of using XFCE over the main gnome one?

Thanks so much! I Greatly appreciate it very much! :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Xfce”