Taskbar is gone

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Markus

Taskbar is gone

Post by Markus »

Hi!
I am running Linux Mint 5 (Elyssa), and I am having trouble with my taskbar. I was trying out Awesome today, but I couldn't figure out how to use it, so I uninstalled it, and when starting a new Gnome-session, the taskbar (the one with the Elyssa-menu, clock, open and minimized windows, and such) wouldn't show up. I have been trying to look up this problem on this forum, the Ubuntu Forums and on Google, but the only solution I have managed to come up with is one I think is rather inelegant. It's just running xfce4-panel from terminal, but there seems to be limited what I am able to do with this panel. I miss the Linux Mint-menu (since I just came from Windows XP, I tend to call it the Start-menu...), and I can't seem to be able to start Spotify (running from Wine) from terminal, so I have been without music for quite a while now. :P

tl;dr: How do I restore the original Elyssa taskbar at the bottom of the screen?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Taskbar is gone

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hi,
What happens when you run

Code: Select all

gnome-panel
in terminal?

Return to “Beginner Questions”