Umm...I now have 2 kernels, that cant be right....

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
distoaddict

Re: Umm...I now have 2 kernels, that cant be right....

Post by distoaddict »

You could edit /boot/grub/menu.1st so that the kernel that works would be the default.You would have to be Very careful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

i would leave them in.They're not doing any harm.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You can remove the kernel that does not work using Synaptic, just look carefully at the version numbers. You need to remove the linux-ubuntu-modules first, otherwise they will not remove properly. In your case make certain you remove the newer version. Once this is done you can remove the other elements of the newer kernel, mark them for complete removal and clean up any residual config files after you have finished.

Take your time and look carefully at the version numbers and you can have things back to the way they were without any problems.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If Grub did not update the system could not boot. You need access to both kernel options until you know for certain that the new kernel is not going to give you problems. Grub working the way it does provides a safety net, in case things go wrong.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Server Error, double post again...

Return to “Beginner Questions”