Printing and Scanning

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Printing and Scanning

Post by reactiv8 »

Being a happy Windows user for years, following the suggestions/advice of my peers, I bought myself a new printer and scanner - My old Kyocera laser printer and Canon flatbed already worked (sort of), but like a naive twit, I assumed getting two new HP devices (D4360 & G4010) to work would be a 'breeze' - Sadly this is not even close - Even with Mint 6 Felicia installed ... The printer has hardly any control from the feeble GUI 'HPLIP' - No sign of the 'Color Calibration' that should be there - This is sorely needed too, because the photo prints are rubbish - Completely over-saturated, too 'contrasty' and with hardly any control over the media ... Scanning is a total non-starter - Mint can't even see the device ... Am I the only person on this planet who still wants to print and scan? - Thought not, but everyone uses Apple Mac or Windows, and for good reason too ...

I thought I was being clever 'escaping' from M$ when Vista came along, but Linux has caused me more problems in the last 9 months than Windows did in 20 years - and it still doesn't work properly - No scanning, printing is hopeless, and MythTV, Wine, VirtualBox, LPROF and OCRopus are all non-starting jokes. As if this wasn't bad enough, try getting some help/support/sound advice for Linux? - You might as well invest all your money in Northern Wreck and throw yourself under the next bus ...

So, why does Linux make it so easy for Windows and Apple? I thought I never wanted to see M$ again, but after another wasted night spent wrestling with Linux, all is forgiven. Windows 98 was the Zenith of personal computing and it has all gone backwards since then - Yes, this is true - Ten years on and the updates/upgrades and alternative (Linux) are laughable ... I wish I'd saved my money for an Apple - Mac wins AGAIN ...

:( Chris.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Printing and Scanning

Post by Husse »

try getting some help/support/sound advice for Linux? - You might as well invest all your money in Northern Wreck and throw yourself under the next bus ...
Are you aware that this is an insult posted in a support forum for Linux - a forum that really helps people
If you put it
try getting some help/support/sound advice for Windows
I'd agree to a degree - there's a lot of help in different fora, but very much about how to fix the problems all kinds of malware creates.
To be honest I did not have many problems with Windows, but I had to put in a heck a heck of a lot of work to keep it that way.
Just lamenting about how bad it is does not help - got back to Windows and stop crying
reactiv8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by reactiv8 »

:roll: ... Well, that's about as much 'help' as a pork sausage at a barmitzvah ... So, Windows & Linux for the kindergarten then and Apple Mac for adults - nothing has changed there ... :roll:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well I did not feel like helping when I got this
try getting some help/support/sound advice for Linux? - You might as well invest all your money in Northern Wreck and throw yourself under the next bus
thrown in my face - very encouraging - or?

Return to “Beginner Questions”