Firewall/ AV software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alun_sundry

Firewall/ AV software

Post by alun_sundry »

I tired using Avast with Mint, as I'd put it on my Vista laptop and my brothers' and dad's. I read that it's not really worth bothering with AV software with Linux, so I wasn't too bothered when the following happened. After I'd downloaded all the latest Avast database updates I did a scan and it said that, basically all the files were infected! i.e. that it listed how many files were checked and then listed the same number of files were infected. It's pretty unlikely isn't it? I'm not seeing problems you could attriibute to that sort of infection. Just Avast not working well with Mint, at a guess; it's a very inferior version for Linux anyway. What do you think?

The other thing, I think probably I haven't done enough for the Firewall yet. I've turned it on, but am I _supposed_ to add 'rules', and if so, can you direct me as to how this is done, or link an idiot-proof tutorial etc. I've never had to bother with Windows,it does it all for you.

I only use Firefox and sometimes Limewire (with which I'm perfectly able to recognise virus files).

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alun_sundry

Re: Firewall/ AV software

Post by alun_sundry »

I meant 'tried' not 'tired'....
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Firewall/ AV software

Post by exploder »

There is no need for antivirus unless you are worried about sending infected files to Windows users. Your Firewall is actually enabled by default, you were looking at the GUI front end to manually configure it. You enabled the GUI tool. Viruses and the like have no impact on a Linux based system and since you are logged on as a user and use sudo to gain root access nothing can do any real damage.

Return to “Beginner Questions”