GRUB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beyecixramd

GRUB

Post by beyecixramd »

i readed the GRUB guide to dual-boot W$ and linux but there's a problem: my W$ partition uses NTFS, when i try to boot it it just says "unrecognized format" or something like that... is there a way to make GRUB support NTFS or something? or do i have to install Windows again in FAT??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: GRUB

Post by Husse »

You have to chainload Windows. You have not told us anything about your setup but if you have Windows on the first partition of the first disk, which is to be expected if you installed Windows before Linux you should have the following entry in your menu.lst for Windows

Code: Select all

title Windows 
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi
Could you please provide more information of what you are trying to achieve i.e what version of windows, Mint version and hardware details.

From your post it is not obvious where you are in the installation but assuming that have not yet tried to install then the following applies.

You do not need to worry about this as during the install you are given the option of whether to put the grub on MBR or the root. From my experience Mint will automatically add windows to the boot menu whether Windows if in NTFS or FAT32. If you have any doubt have look at the manual for whichever version of Mint you are looking to install.

IMHO it is worth trying Mint 5 first as 6 has only just been released and no new release has all the bugs ironed out immediately

Edited: Sorry answered at the same time as Husse and as usual his expertise is far superior to mine.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Husse and as usual his expertise is far superior to mine
Don't make me :oops:
Actually I thought Mint was installed, but perhaps not - not easy when people don't take care to write in proper english and give sufficient details - there's more of that in the forum now...
beyecixramd

Post by beyecixramd »

mmhh... yes, actually linux mint is installed ¬¬

but things are a little different here in my system:

title MicroXP
root (hd1,0) [that's the w$ partition]
makeactive
chainloader +1
the problem appears when i try to boot W$ because it looks like it doesn't accept the NTFS format, "unrecognized format NTFS(and some numbers i don't remember)"

EDIT: more details:

Windows XP (microXP)
Linux Mint 5
Nvidia motherboard
the linux mint HDD is the master, w$ is slave
Windows HDD format is NTFS (i've said that before anyway)
Linux was installed AFTER windows, windows was not working ok with a ext3 master HDD so i needed to format my linux HDD and install windows later, i dont really know why, but i think now it doesn't matter
Husse

Post by Husse »

Never heard of microXP but that should not change anything
However I think you have Linux on the "first" disk and Windows on the second - that won't work without a little trick
Make it like this:

title MicroXP
    root (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
The map command makes Windows think it's on the first disk and I think it should work now
Note that XP is expecting to be on the first partition of the first disk
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

MicroXP is a relative of TinyXP.
:wink:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Pierre wrote:MicroXP is a relative of TinyXP.
:wink:
It's little sister? :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”