I loose every setting I make after I reboot.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I loose every setting I make after I reboot.

Post by bobpur »

I think he means that anything he does in one session is not there the next time he fires up his machine.

I have the same problem (I think). In my best Mint 6 install, I had to re-adjust the screen resolution every time I fired up the computer. Wallpaper would not be there, task bars would be missing, and icons would fail to show.

I'm trying a different mirror and burning the ISO on a different computer. My CD/DVD burner may be going "toes-up" on this one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Udi »

This may sound completely idiotic - but are you sure you're not running off the live cd?

Make sure your CD drive is empty and reboot your PC. That way you are sure that you are booting from the hard disk. Now, create a text file or some other file and save it. Is it not there after a new reboot? What settings, specifically, are you losing? Also, what hardware do you run on (laptop/desktop, what model and did mint recognize everything successfully) ?
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobpur »

I'm using (trying?) Mint 6. I've been trying to get Mint 6 going for a couple of days now and I'm about ready to scrap the whole project and re-install Mint 5 KDE CE. I won't go in to my troubles in another persons thread, but I've had problems with Ubuntu8.10, too, now that you mention it.

The issues in this thread are just some of what I've run into trying to get Mint 6 going and I'm no stranger to installing distros. I've been with Mint since Bea.

Return to “Beginner Questions”