Newbie question: gvfsd problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie question: gvfsd problem

Post by cmbcne »

New install of Elyssa on laptop with 2 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD.
Click on "Computer" icon on desktop and get "Unable to mount location", and "Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-computer" (No such file or directory)"
Open Nautilus and click on Network and get "Couldn't display "network:///"." and "Error: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-network" (No such file or directory) Please select another viewer and try again."

I'm a newbie, so excuse me if I sound silly, but it sounds like gvfs is screwed up. further, I'm assuming from the"fs" that it's some sort of file system daemon. right?

OK. Nw how do I fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Newbie question: gvfsd problem

Post by cmbcne »

Follow-up:
On a hunch, I went into Synaptic and searched for "gvfs" and found several items. Some were installed, but not all. so I installed "gvfs-backends" and "gvfs-bin", then rebooted.

Now the desktop icons for "Computer" and "Mikes Home" have both disappeared and I have no way to launch Nautilus from the menu.

I should have been patient and waited for an answer.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Udi »

From the menu, can you click on "Computer" or "Home Folder"? Do they open up?
From the command line, can you run 'nautilus' or 'nautilus --no-desktop'?
Try also upgrading to all the latest versions of the packages with 'sudo apt-get upgrade'.
cmbcne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmbcne »

nch of thingsThanks.
I got it working, but don't ask me how. I tried a bunch of things based on intuition and it suddenly worked,

This is only one of the "issues" with this install. I'll start a new thread about the audio one.

Return to “Beginner Questions”