Automatic Updates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DataMan

Re: Automatic Updates

Post by DataMan »

It's entirely normal to get a rash of updates after your initial installation. Basically, the iso image is frozen at the time of release of the distro. With Linux and other ops, things move forward (hopefully) all of the time. Thus the large number of updates (I think my max updates from a distro install was like 870 once :) ).

Re. the gnome updates, you are probably using one or more gnome apps in your xfce installation, thus the gnome. It is rather common to use gnome apps in kde and kde apps in a gnome setting.

Re. the Ubuntu updates, Mint is core based on Ubuntu. Basically, I believe the developer's of Mint started with Ubuntu-Kubuntu-Xubuntu and built Mint from that point forward (like why re-create the wheel if you don't have to). Don't mis-interpret this as there are marked differences between the two distro's... that's why we're using Mint vs. Ubuntu right?

Re. whether to use the updates or not, that's entirely your call. The updates either fix something that's not correct, or roll improvements in the app. If the update addresses an app problem, not doing the update may lead to a run time error on the application. I would recommend a disciplined approach to doing the updates. Set some time interval and stay with it.

Things can go wrong on rare occasions with updates. From my experience, I would say that is the exception rather than the norm. There are a number of things that you can do to minimize the effects of updates gone bad. If you're interested, check out my web site in the Linux section under a Backup Strategy for one possible approach.

Hope the above help.

DataMan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”