rescue cd and grub

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
orangutan-X

rescue cd and grub

Post by orangutan-X »

Is there a rescue cd that i can download that would allow me to restore GRUB after I've installed windows. I have Mint 6 installed and I would like to install XP. But that would ruin the MBR, is there a way to restore GRUB?

I have looked on the forums and the net in general to find a solution, but I thought it would be easier to ask on here.

Many thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orangutan_X

Re: rescue cd and grub

Post by orangutan_X »

i actually posted this but got my name wrong. The shame.
Fred

Post by Fred »

orangutan_X,

Yes, you can restore grub to the mbr. Download and burn the latest stable version of SuperGrub live cd iso. Use this to boot into the Mint install after you have loaded Windows. Do not try to fix anything with SuperGrub, just use it as a boot cd.

http://download.linux-live-cd.org/Super ... sgd/cdrom/

From the Mint desktop, open a terminal and type:

sudo grub

root (hd0,x)

setup (hd0)

quit

Substitute the correct partition in the root command above. Example: If the Mint /boot folder is on sda5 the above command would be root (hd0,4). Always 1 less than the sda designator.

In a terminal type:

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

This will open the menu.lst for editing. At the bottom of the list put the below boot stanza in for Windows. I am assuming Windows is on the first primary partition of the first disk.

title Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Save and close. When you reboot you should get the nice grub menu and be able to boot into Mint or Windows.

One more chore you will have is to correct the /etc/fstab file, if you are still using UUIDs. Any partitions you have touched will have changed UUIDs. If this is a problem for you post back when you get to that point and I'll help you fix it.

Fred
orangutan_X

Post by orangutan_X »

excellent thanks a lot. in the end i had to reinstall everything anyway! But i'll use that the next time i have a problem with grub, knowing me very soon!

Thanks a lot for your help. :D
orangutan_X

Post by orangutan_X »

Erm, probably a stupid question but how do I download one of the iso's? When I click on it it loads up a page full of weird letters. I'm using opera if that helps. Should I use a bit torrent type thing to download it? If so how because I've never used bit torrent before.

Thanks
doglover

Post by doglover »

How to download an iso? I don't know about Opera, but it appears to be opening the file instead of downloading it. Can you right click on the link and "save as"?
If not, try dillo or firefox.

IMF

Return to “Installation & Boot”