No Sound / Audio with Felicia

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaydee2584
Level 1
Level 1

No Sound / Audio with Felicia

Post by jaydee2584 »

No Sound / Audio with Felicia.

I see there are quite a few postings with the same or similar problems with audio. I have spent several hours reading and trying to resolve my problem with no joy. My sound worked fine with Daryna and Elyssa, only ALSA. I tried the upgrade after I backed up my documents. I tried the upgrade twice with the same results, and I tried installing from the CD twice with the same results. No sound. I've tried some of the suggestions in the forum with no results. Everything works fine it seems except there is no audio at all.

Here are some of my specifics:
There is a red X on the volume control located on the menu bar. When trying to open the volume control a message appears: “No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found.” Nothing opens when preferences are clicked. In Sound Preferences, both auto detect and alsa, clicking on “Test” produces this error message: audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument.

I have an onboard soundcard on an older IBM desktop, Pentium III 650, 512Mb memory.

Here is my lspci for my computer.:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:02.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:02.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:02.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:12.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2600 802.11 MIMO
01:01.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Trio 64 3D (rev 01)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: No Sound / Audio with Felicia

Post by Husse »

I've got almost the same error for my USB headset and I have been looking for a solution a long time
Unfortunately that can't be the complete lspci (or?) no sound there. I guess you have some AC97 in that old computer.
It may be a bit too old for new kernels, so why not stick with Elyssa (it is a LTS)
I find it sad that support for old hardware seems to disappear from time to time with newer kernels
jaydee2584
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jaydee2584 »

Thanks for the info Husse. I guess I'll go back to LM5 - Elyssa as it worked for me. But I really liked the feel of the new release also. I put it on a new laptop and like it on there. It's a shame that the old equipment gets left behind as I use the old computer pretty much as a utility machine every day and as long as it works, I'll keep using it.
Thanks - John
Husse

Post by Husse »

After you've gone back to Elyssa enable the Romeo repository and update
Quite a bit of the "feel" in Felicia can be found there, and more will come as we backport - Elyssa is to last to 2011

Return to “Sound”