Seperate home partition upgrade or clean install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Seperate home partition upgrade or clean install?

Post by donlinux »

I'm currently running Elyssa and have a separate home partition.
If I perform a clean install of Felicia, not formatting my existing home partition, what should I expect?
Will Felicia install properly with all of the new features?
Will I lose anything from my Elyssa install?
Am I better off just making a script of all of my necessary programs and do a clean install with a format of my home partition.
Live CD of Felicia works perfectly on my Dell Inspiron laptop so I don't anticipate any issues otherwise.

Lastly. If Elyssa is running great (outside of my never being able to sync my palm pilot) is there anything absolutely, fantastic that I would be missing if I don't upgrade?

Many thanks for a great distro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Seperate home partition upgrade or clean install?

Post by rivenought »

You can actually keep your /home partition intact with a new install. During the partitioning phase, you put a check in the box to format the / partition. Do not put a check in the box for your /home partition. You will get an all new / partition, and your /home will be right there ready to use. However, there are some hidden settings in your /home partition. They are nothing dangerous, but your personalizations are stored there. For example, if your Mint 5 install had "Elyssa" down by the menu, your Mint 6 will probably still say "Elyssa" even though it is not. These are minor things that can be fixed in a few minutes. Husse has written numerous posts on moving from one version to the next, so you should benefit from searching out and reading them.

Now, I have done the above method in the past with numerous other distros, and it works. However, what I have done for the past two years or so has been to copy my most important files to a flash drive (I have whittled down anything mission-critical to just a few hundred MB!). I then perform a complete clean-install with everything freshly formatted. I then drop my files and settings back in place. This only takes a few minutes. This method works best for me. Only you can decide what works best for you.

Husse also has suggestions for a separate data partition, and you might get some upgrading ideas from that. You can usually find some interesting items in the wiki. Good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”