Sell me

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DataMan

Re: Sell me

Post by DataMan »

Welcome to Mint and Linux.

Have you reviewed the spec's on Mint? You should find most of your answers there.

As a matter of convenience, you will find Mint complete with most of the codec's to do most multi-media things. As a Windows user, you may find the KDE version a bit easier on the transition to Linux as it has a more familiar user interface.

With respect to the H/W, you do not have to get a new H/D if you have adequate space on your existing H/D. Most of us are dual (or more) booting without going through the expense (and trouble) of acquiring new hard drives.

With respect to the apps, you will find the Linux environment very rich in solid apps. For most things, you will find a Linux equivalent that is as good as, or better than the Windows version. For example, we have GIMP which is an equivalent (or better) app than Photo Shop (at $0.00 USD). There are also options to run Windows apps in a quasi-Windows environment with Wine etc.

In summary, you will find the Linux experience to be a very positive thing if you are willing to extend a little bit of effort to come up to speed in it and also to realize that Linux is not Windows. Finally, the user community here and with other distro's is outstanding with a large group of people ready to help you out as needed.

DataMan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

Not sure what sort of work you do with photoshop, but if you are pro and do it for living, then you will have to stay with windows (or Mac). GIMP is not photoshop yet as far as I aware.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Linux n00b wrote:Not sure what sort of work you do with photoshop, but if you are pro and do it for living, then you will have to stay with windows (or Mac). GIMP is not photoshop yet as far as I aware.
If he was a pro photoshop user he wouldn't be doing work on a netbook. :wink:
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

The problem with gimp is despite being one of the most popular apps in the open source world, it has no corporate backing like just about everything else with the same billing. It really needs someone to put up the money to hire full time developers. Until then the progress will be slow.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have never used programs like PhotoShop but the Gimp seems capable of some advanced graphics work. I love the ability to use plugins! I have seen some pretty nice work around here created with Gimp!
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Also, if you look hard enough or maybe it won't be so hard, someone has taken the gimp and added a few new menus, etc to make it more user friendly. If I can find it I will post the links for you.

GimpShop is one of them and there's another also.

I don't believe any of them are in Mints repositories, but once you get a little experience tinkering under the hood you install by source. Actually, GimpShop offers a .deb which is pretty much a double click and watch it install kind of deal. Other one, of course, not so sure about.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

About Linux Mint and eeePC:
My tip is to install the XFCE version of Mint, it runs very smooth on one of the "eee's" here at home!
About GIMP:
I don't know whether you have seen any of my work or not, and I don't know whether you like it or not if you have, BUT...
I am a GIMPoholic of the third degree, everyday I use it I find something new, useful or just plain fun!
Zwopper wrote:Hi my name is Zwopper and I'm a GIMPoholic...
Anonymous Mass wrote: Hi Zwopper...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:idea: :idea: :idea: GIMP 2.6 is a BIG improvement from the previous versions! :idea: :idea: :idea:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I'm looking forward to the big GUI redesign they have been working on for the past year or so. Though when it finally ships I bet all the old GIMP lovers will moan the new usable interface is a step backward. :lol:
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

I think you will find majority of cases, paid doesn't mean better than free.

I could be out dated, but I thought the problem with GIMP is more to do with plug-ins. I too is looking forward for the new GUI, it will (I hope) make things much easier. Now, only if the develpment can be faster. 8)

Return to “Beginner Questions”