(Solved) How to mount NTFS HD automatically on boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TerminusEst

(Solved) How to mount NTFS HD automatically on boot?

Post by TerminusEst »

Ok, I got all my system up and running smoothly now, everything works. But there is two small things that is annoying me and I would appreciate any help to solve them. First is to mount my NTFS Sata HD and an Ext3 Pata HD automatically on boot. Currently, both need to be mounted after login and they require password to do so. And if I forget to umount one of them when I shutdown my PC, next time I turn it on, the boot process hangs. When this happens, I must unplug my Sata, boot normally and plug again after login, like a pendrive. confused? I tried everything I know: added mount points to /media, added some lines to fstab, ticked the "mount automatically" option in the properties dialog box of each drive icon and even played with the options of the "Disk and Filesystems" tool from "System Settings" menu (I run Elyssa KDE). Nothing worked: either it shows some FUSE related error or "permission denied". So, anyone got some idea?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: How to mount NTFS HD automatically on boot?

Post by Fred »

TerminusEst wrote:
I tried everything I know: added mount points to /media, added some lines to fstab, ticked the "mount automatically" option in the properties dialog box of each drive icon and even played with the options of the "Disk and Filesystems" tool from "System Settings" menu
Getting the partitions to auto mount shouldn't be a problem... except for the above actions. Do you have any idea what you changed or can you set everything back like it was before you "ticked," "added," and "played"?

If so, tell me what the partition designators of the partitions in question are and I'll tell you how to fix it. Example: sda1 - ntfs ..... sdb2 - ext3

Fred
doglover

Post by doglover »

Do you have a Knoppix CD handy? Will it mount the drives?
Why the passwords? Do you have to have them?

IMF
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

It's a Sata, it mounts as /media/sdc1. It's also a NTFS, just one partition.
Do you have any idea what you changed or can you set everything back like it was before you "ticked," "added," and "played"?
Yes, I have. Everytime I changed something and it didn't work I undid it. So, my system is not messed up at all.
Fred

Post by Fred »

TerminusEst wrote:
Everytime I changed something and it didn't work I undid it. So, my system is not messed up at all. It's also a NTFS, just one partition.
Good... I misunderstood. I thought there were two partitions involved. That leaves one last thing. Please post a copy of your /etc/fstab file.

Fred
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

Please post a copy of your /etc/fstab file.
Here we go:

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=12ebac56-bfbf-4f32-88eb-8aa95b25edb7 / ext3 nouser,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=b690c11d-e83c-4b70-96ca-0c9d2f927768 none swap sw 0 0
Like always, only the system and swap partitions are listed. My DVD, Pata and Sata drives aren't. They appear when I manually mount them though.

Thx in advance.
Fred

Post by Fred »

TerminusEst,

I have made a couple of assumptions here. I am assuming that the NTFS partition is a Windows partition that has data in it that you need to access from time to time. In that case I would mount it in your home in a folder called Windows. If you want it mounted somewhere else and/or under a different name let me know and we can change it.

Also one thing that is confusing sometimes with NTFS partitions is the way Windows handles the locking. If you don't shut down Windows properly, ie. hit the reset button or force a power down, sometimes NTFS partitions won't mount correctly in Linux. The solution is to restart Windows and shut it down properly. Then restart Linux.

Open a terminal and type: (put your username in place of mine in all cases.)

mkdir /home/fred/Windows

gksu gedit /etc/fstab

A window will open displaying the fstab file for editing. Put the following line at the end of the file, save and close. ( I am assuming your Windows install is located on sdc1)

/dev/sdc1 /home/fred/Windows ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0

That is it. Reboot and you should have a folder in your /home named Windows. Clicking on it will open your Windows partition.

Bye-the-way, what happened to sdb? It is a bit unusual for a drive designator to be skipped. Just curious. :-)

Fred
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

You assumed correctly.

It's a NTFS partition, but it has no Windows on it. Last time I used it on a Windows machine I shutdowned it correctly. I will try your idea.

There is a sdb. It's my second Pata with Ext3. Currently it mounts correctly at startup.

Later and thx.

EDIT: It worked now. Thx man. Now my system is running flawlessly, as my two minor problems was solved thanks to your and the rest of the community help. That's why I choose Linux at first place.

Thx again.
Fred

Re: (Solved) How to mount NTFS HD automatically on boot?

Post by Fred »

TerminusEst,

You are welcome. Glad I was able to help and it worked out for you. :-)

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”