DVDs not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T.A.C.

DVDs not working

Post by T.A.C. »

I put in a DVD, it recognizes the DVD. I right click and click "Open With... Movie Player." The Totem Movie Player comes up, says "DVD Menu" and then closes. I would really like to watch DVDs. How can I?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: DVDs not working

Post by exploder »

Try opening the movie in MPlayer, you should be able to watch a movie.
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

The pre-installed programs don't seem to cope with DVD menus in some cases, I've found. Install VLC from the Synaptic package manager, that's solved this for me.
T.A.C.

Post by T.A.C. »

I got VLC, updated my video card drivers, and ran the general update for Mint. Now the DVDs play in all programs but they flicker constantly. They play, but the flickering makes them unwatchable. Solutions?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

In MPlayer you can set the video output. I have found setting it to x11 helps. Possibly VLS has similar options?
T.A.C.

Post by T.A.C. »

exploder wrote:In MPlayer you can set the video output. I have found setting it to x11 helps. Possibly VLS has similar options?
X11 did it. Now they play fairly well. It's still a little choppy, but better than nothing. Thanks.
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

Yes, it's not perfect, but I suppose it's a 'get what you pay for' thing. I don't know about Mint, but with Linux Mandriva 2009 you can get a paid-for codec instead of libdvdcss and I would hope that would entail a picture as good as when I watch a DVD in my Vista partition, which to be fair is still not perfect either, probably down to a not great graphics chip in my laptop, a factor which may be involved in your situation to, eh. I wouldn't know if Mint can use a better, paid-for codec.

You notice the choppiness most with sideways motion, don't you? Picture kind of moves in strips. Let's hope the programmers evolve this.
T.A.C.

Post by T.A.C. »

Husse wrote:Turn off Compiz and see what happens (Appearances > Visual effects tab > none)

Found this in another post. Not only did it solve the problems, but the DVD plays smoother and crisper than it ever did when this machine ran XP Pro. Mint FTW!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Glad you got this resolved!

Return to “Beginner Questions”