my ISP says dissable ipv6.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redprosumers

my ISP says dissable ipv6.

Post by redprosumers »

Happy New Year!

How do I disable ipv6 I am totally new to linux and am working with a live cd on usb drive to find out if I can be fully functional. I am getting connection to my wireless signal but when open firefox pages don't load and it should open to a sign on page for isp. I am using mint 6 felicia. Please Help! Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: my ISP says dissable ipv6.

Post by Husse »

You don't have to worry about it - ipv6 is disabled by default in Mint
redprosumers

Post by redprosumers »

ok I need to know then how do I get fire fox to go to the sign on page of my wireless provider when it opens. I tried using the same ip adress as what was used in windows and it did not recognize it. page error keeps coming up.
dms05

Post by dms05 »

Have you set the WiFi encryption correctly? I've just loaded Linux Mint and I had the same problem as you until I found the WiFi Manager and entered the correct details. You should be able to connect via LAN cable without a problem - have you tried just to check? Good luck. My first post and my first day with Mint Linux - it's all going very well!
redprosumers

Post by redprosumers »

I got brave linux mint 6 felicia is now my dual boot system on my internal drive partioned for 30gig. Now I need to figure out the right wifi settings. then learn to install from .tar.gz files and in general from my own downloaded files I have already. For any simple help for this newbie I thank you and yes I am reading through the manuals I find as I get time. I am looking for any links to good begginer guides that will explaine the terminal commands an syntax, exactly how to start using a vm in linux so I can use windows/vista home prem. sp1 without shutting down linux. other Helpful links to learn system setup for multiple users and application control. I plan to become a linux user capable of setting it up on most systems for my friends with a version they like or is compatable, as I am very impressed with the capabilities if this system. I was in past a computer repair guy for a private mini main fraim system so learning this shouldn't be any harder I hope :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

redprosumers,

Thoughts that might be helpful.

1) Try to avoid downloading and installing program files from various sites. That is the Windows way. Linux has repos that are vetted and intended to work on your distro. You are less likely to have stability issues if you try to stay with the programs and versions in the repos. There are exceptions of course, but as a general rule this is true.

2) Google "bash Linux" you will find all the information you will ever need. Everything from very early beginner to quite advanced.

3) The below link will give you step-by-step instructions on how to install VirtualBox. Look for my post in the latter part of the thread. This is the program that I prefer for VMs.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 11#p116611

Welcome, and enjoy your learning experience with Linux. It is certainly worth the effort. :-)

Fred
redprosumers

Post by redprosumers »

Thanks Fred

I appreciate the tips and plan to follow it at least till I get much more advanced. I just have to get my web browser to let me sign into my ISP. When thats fixed All should be just learning the system and hopefully some fun setting things up they way I want.

Again Thank you!
redprosumers

Post by redprosumers »

can someone tell me why in firefox when I have a wired connection I can access the login page to isp but with wireless I can not using the same address. I have tried to go through the wireless settings and set them manually even with no luck
please help. using broadcom modem in gateway t-1628 laptop. linux mint felicia main. installed on hard drive as dual boot
Husse

Post by Husse »

Can you connect at all in wifi?
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Okay, browser-based network security may be cookie-dependant. It is a big ball of stupidity and unknown. You need to talk to your ISP to find out how you need to configure your browser to connect. If your browser brings up their front page and shows you the login, then Mint is handling the networking properly. Seeing the login screen establishes that networking (to the server) works. Now you need to negotiate to get past the server. You get to the login page with a wired connection, but don't see it with wifi.

Just guessing off the top of my head, and working with the plethora of information you've already provided, but a lot of things occur to me:
1. wifi may be nonfunctional because you have a wired network connection plugged in. Unplug, click nm-applet, and try again.
2. nm-applet may be unaware of the ISP's wifi AP. It may be hidden. You may need to manually enter network settings.
3. nm-applet may be aware of the ISP's wifi AP, but since it hasn't been told explicitly to try to connect it doesn't do so for the first time by default. It is polite. Tell it to do so. L-click, select the AP you want to connect to, and L-click it.
4. Your wifi card may not be working right. You may need to do some extra work to get wifi working. See the wifi wiki, and open a seperate forum thread for your wifi. Possibly you need to seperately install a driver for your wifi card.
5. If your wifi antenna is in a Faraday cage, it won't get signal no matter how hard you try. Remove the signal interference.

I'm not being an ass. I'm pointing out that you haven't provided enough information for anyone to figure out your problem. Your wired connection seems to be fine. So what about wifi?

Well, start with these simple commands from Mint's commandline:
lspci
lsusb

Post the results.

Return to “Beginner Questions”