Linux Mint - LiveCD won't boot...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sa1nt

Linux Mint - LiveCD won't boot...

Post by Sa1nt »

Well I am using the latest distro and I am trying to switch over to Mint from Ubuntu. However I cannot get the LiveCD nor the GUI installer to launch. When I boot from the CD I get everything up to the Linux mint page with the green loading bar after which my screen is black with the following text.

Loading /casper/vmlinuz............
Loading /casper/initrd.gz.........
Ready
Loading, please wait...

Busybox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu6) built-in shell (ash0
Enter 'help for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _

What can I do to fix it and boot from a regular GUI like Ubuntu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Linux Mint - LiveCD won't boot...

Post by DataMan »

The basics...
1. re-download the iso
2. re-burn the iso at sloooow speed.
3. check and verify the md5 sum checks.

DataMan
Sa1nt

Post by Sa1nt »

I don't want to be rude or anything, but please READ the problem. It has nothing to do with downloading incorrectly, simply put the GUI does not boot, instead of I get this text based command prompt.

Help anyone?
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

However I cannot get the LiveCD nor the GUI installer to launch.
I assumed that since the LiveCD does not execute the root problem might possibly lie in the LiveCD. Good luck in your quest.

DataMan
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

I'm gonna side with DataMan on this one. If the livecd isn't actually working right it could be a bad burn.

If you have another pc to try the cd on, try it. If its the same problem I'd assume a burning problem. If not, maybe you have a case. But errors with live cds can be caused by bad burns, not just hardware problems. You never know, if one piece of data didn't get written or got written in the wrong place or who knows what else that could be messing you up.

If it isn't too much trouble to try it on a new PC or reburn it then do so.

If not, your choice. But if it is this you can solve the problem on your own and enjoy the minty experience without having to wait. Ya know?

I'm not trying to be rude either, but I think DataMan did have a point there.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

+1 with DataMan and psych1610.

Also to consider, if the CD does load on another machine, then you may wish to try using "compatibility mode" with yours. During the initial booting, press any key and choose "compatibility mode" from the menu that appears on the screen. I have had to do that with my main machine starting with Mint 6. Good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”