Sony Motion Eye Camera

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

I have one of those old Sony Vaio C1 sub-notebooks and it has that camera too ("Kawasaki Steel Corp. Motion Eye"). You need to make sure that the "sonypi" (Sony's Programmable Interrupt Controller) driver is loaded upon system start, or else the camera will never work. I suggest to Google this, e.g. "Linux vaio sonypi meye" ... You should find plenty of hints about this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

soccermonstar13 wrote: but I don't know how to check if the sonypi driver is actually getting loaded....

Code: Select all

sudo lsmod
OR:

Code: Select all

sudo lsmod | grep sony
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

soccermonstar13 wrote:the sonypi driver is loading... this is odd...
No, it's not. Did you configure it correctly? Per default it will assume that there is no camera! So you have to modify a few files (e.g. /etc/modules.conf) and tell it that there is a camera it needs to take care of too. There are plenty of tutorials out on the WWW about this, see my post about Googling all this above.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

soccermonstar13 wrote:Oh okay. Thanks.. I'll look into this.
the problem is that there are too many Sony laptops that use the same Interrupt controller and don't have the camera. So the driver --being reverse-engineered without Sony's official blessings-- can't really know if the camera part is needed or not. So a little tweaking may be needed.

Return to “Hardware Support”