Tasteless One Liners in terminal - Bianca

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Tasteless One Liners in terminal - Bianca

Post by bin »

Little gems like "You will be held hostage by a radical group" popping up when you start terminal :x

This kind of juvenile - and tasteless - stuff belongs in the dark ages!

bin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Tasteless One Liners in terminal - Bianca

Post by antiquexray »

bin wrote:Little gems like "You will be held hostage by a radical group" popping up when you start terminal :x

bin
Personally, I like them. As far a juvenile, all I can say is ththththththththth :wink: !
doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doubled »

bin wrote:Little gems like "You will be held hostage by a radical group" popping up when you start terminal :x

bin
Here's how to get rid of them:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... tune&t=845
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

bin
Lighten up bin. The whole purpose of the fortune package is a joke and must be taken as such. Most jokes offend at least 1 person so you must think all comedy and joking has to stop because of this. Get over it. Its a joke and take it as such.

Taking things too seriously is the number one cause of making your sense of humour disappear.
rlpw1011
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rlpw1011 »

The Fortunes are what keeps me constantly opening my terminal
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

I think some of them are great, a little bit of humour is a wonderful thing!

Rod
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

rlpw1011 wrote:The Fortunes are what keeps me constantly opening my terminal
Yep. Me too. Never been much of a terminal user, but the fortune makes me smile and makes it look less hostile to the newbie I am... and I realise I'm using it more and more :D

So as far as I'm concerned, it was a nifty idea. And those who don't like it can disable it. :wink:
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

bin
bin - just thought I would give you a bit of support. I entirely agree that many people will find some of the statements offensive and a few people will find many of them so. One or two got to me as well.

Some people seem to have a mission in life to go around being offensive - well that's their option I guess. However, I think that a distro that will go out to many people has to be a bit more responsible and sensitive to those who will read these statements.;

Of course the user can always vote with his/her rump and try another distro. But that would be a pity, would it not, if the distro was - like Mint - a very fine piece of work? It is true that the user could also remove the offending line in the bash file. However, if some people like to have the fortunes, then why not make it an installable option rather than a default.
lets face it, jokes are funny because they are crazy, offensive whatever. do you stop telling blonde jokes because blondes may find them offensive? or black jokes? or maybe irish jokes?
Actually, Suchetha - I have done exactly that. I probably told 10 a day until I worked in community and race relations for a couple of years. I soon found out the distress that constant repetition of sexist and racist jokes had on the recipients. There is a world of difference between laughing with people and laughing at them....

Perhaps enough said, though I doubt I have heard the last of it :wink:
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Re: NOT offensive list?

Post by arjay »

3rdalbum wrote:I thought the offensive list *had* been enabled! I just got "your sister swims out to meet troop ships" - if someone said that to me, I'd assume they were insulting me :-)
Point made - if that is the quality of the inoffensive list, i don't think I'll go looking at the offensive one :cry:

RJ
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Planet of the Apes
It's a madhouse... a MADHOUSE! ;-)

Whether or not the verse itself is tactless, the uninvited jokes contribute to a bohemian reputation which can be a curse to Linux within the big picture.

The random graffiti mechanism can be included for those who want to enable it, but methinks Mint can benefit by deferring to a decorum that's suitable to the widest range of computing environments.

----
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

telic wrote:...methinks Mint can benefit by deferring to a decorum that's suitable to the widest range of computing environments.----
... and pray tell, my good sir, what is "a decorum suitable to the widest range of computing environments"? :roll:

The onliners make me laugh every time I open a terminal, even if some are better than other, I'm willing to give you that. If you're too stiff-necked to enjoy them, I've no problem with that, by all means remove them. :D

But if they hadn't been included by default I'd never found out about them and that would be a pity...
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Sorensei wrote:... and pray tell, my good sir, what is "a decorum suitable to the widest range of computing environments"? :roll:
Your question is made disingenuous by its rolling-eyes emoticon and tone, indicating that you've already passed judgement on this matter.

Like it or not, the big picture of desktop computing is dominated by corporate protocol and a public that's quick to distrust any seemingly undisciplined technology. Within this context, Ubuntu's relative success is no mystery, as its implementation philosophy is a shiny example of decorum that's suitable to the widest range of computing environments.

----
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

I like the onliners, I think I made that clear enough.

Now, did it occur to you that many people might be there precisely because they are fed up with the corporate protocol in question?
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Now, did it occur to you that many people might be there precisely because they are fed up with the corporate protocol in question?
Ubuntu's implementation embraces the tenets of corporate decorum, and conforms to standards known for mainstream appeal.

----
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

... and seemingly some people find this not enough, or not entirely to their taste... which is why Mint exists. Or we'd all be using Ubuntu, wouldn't we?

Not that it isn't a great distro, mind you.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

... and seemingly some people find this not enough, or not entirely to their taste... which is why Mint exists. Or we'd all be using Ubuntu, wouldn't we?
I see no one here arguing for the elimination of variety or individual choice. Nor is anyone saying that a Linux distro doesn't have the right to garnish their product for bohemian tastes.

My point is about how any out-of-the-box norm can define a product in the eyes of mainstream consumers. Not that the typical computer user need be of any particular interest to the makers of Mint. After all, any hobbyist project of any ilk may be largely whimsical or gratuitous.

Ubuntu is one example of an enterprise that actively applies a corporate sense of decorum to its product, quenching the thirsts of commerce and consumer trust. This is achieved without compromising Linux's uncanny ability to serve as a Ferrari, Jeep, or Rolls-Royce.

One of Microsoft's supreme blunders with Vista, for example, is in creating an operating system that presumes to impose one particular sense of what is (or isn't) legitimate entertainment on my personal computer. Only a matter of market share separates Microsoft from any Linux distro whose random graffiti presumes to be so amusing (legit) that users must have it fed to them without invitation.

----
Last edited by telic on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

telic wrote: One of Microsoft's supreme blunders with Vista, for example, is in creating an operating system that presumes to impose one particular sense of what is (or isn't) legitimate entertainment on my personal computer. Only a matter of market share separates Microsoft from any Linux distro whose random graffiti presumes to be so amusing (legit) that users must have it fed to them without invitation.
----
Not a question of market share, here. If you don't like the onliners because they offend your sense of propriety, no problem, take them off - there's even a link for how to do it earlier in this very thread.

Now, If I want to start removing what I find offensive in Vista - I'm sure they won't help, and probably sue me.

That's the difference.

What I love about Mint is that it helped me discover many things about how my system works and what it can do - some of them I'd never necessarily thought about. What I found nice I kept, and removed what I didn't use or found annoying.

But if they hadn't been there in the first place, I'd never had a chance to find out.

If that makes Mint or this forum a madhouse as you said earlier, I'm taking the madhouse any day.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

If that makes Mint or this forum a madhouse as you said earlier, I'm taking the madhouse any day.
A joke was made about Planet of the Apes. I quoted one of the best-known lines from that 1968 film: "It's a madhouse... a MADHOUSE!"

That's more fitting here than the other well-known line: "Get your stinking paws off of me, you damn dirty ape". I'll save that for a discussion of Bill Gates or Paris Hilton.

If nuisance factors are what motivate people to discover how their computers work, then Microsoft Vista is one massively compelling learning tool!

----
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

telic wrote: If nuisance factors are what motivate people to discover how their computers work, then Microsoft Vista is one massively compelling learning tool!
----
Not necessarily nuisances. Simply unexpected events. Whether they qualify as nuisance is up to the user, and obviously opinions vary.

And they enable you to learn something only if you can do something about it, which disqualifies Vista for the most part, I'm afraid.
Unless we take Vista as an encouragement to "learn something about Linux", which of course cannot be a bad thing. :D
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

And they enable you to learn something only if you can do something about it, ...
If you learn only from triumph then you learn less effectively than folk who can also learn from their frustrations. Much of what can be discovered about anything is the incidental data that accumulates during pursuit of single objectives, even when a venture turns bust.

Y'all ain't gettin' what I'm sayin' about the random graffiti.

Needlessly enabling a mouthy jack-in-the-box is presumptuous, typical of a bohemian persona that's associated with hackerz. No problemo, unless you aim to have desktop Linux embraced by blue-chip corporations and an antsy public worldwide.

An operating system amounts to a multipurpose framework. I might use it for entertainment purposes, but an OS has no business peddling someone else's idea of amusement (or legitimacy) onto my desktop without my invite. What's next, digitized farts and belches as the default system sound effects?

It can be counterproductive to give the impression that inmates are running the asylum.

And tastes in gratuituous "fun" can be culture driven, so an international project should govern itself accordingly.

----

Return to “Other topics”