Using KDE Apps in Gnome

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobsmith

Using KDE Apps in Gnome

Post by bobsmith »

I know that it's possible to use KDE apps in gnome; I have done it. But why do I see so many references to this being an undesirable option? My OS is Felicia, and I also prefer gnome, but my favorite music app (by far) is Amarok. Yet the drawbacks of using a KDE app in Gnome appears to be enough of an issue to warrant the creation of an entire project devoted to building an Amarok-like music player for Gnome (Exaile).

Can someone explain the practical disadvantages of using KDE apps in gnome? Does it pose stability issues? Is it simply a matter of bloat? Does it clog or slow the system? Is it just a matter of looks (GTK vs QT)? As a practical matter, is it better to just stick with gnome apps in a gnome distro? I'd be interested in hearing what others think... Do you avoid KDE apps in gnome? If so - why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Using KDE Apps in Gnome

Post by DataMan »

I'll give you my opinion (and it's just that... an opinion :) ). I think the main reason that it is generally viewed as less-than -desirable to use cross desktop apps is because the inclusion of an app from the "other" side also means that you must build the essential libraries for the desktop also. For example, if you were running a 100% gnome desktop and added Amarock, by adding Amarock you also need to build in the basic kde libraries on top of the equivalent you already have in place for the gnome build.

With respect to using the "other" side apps, from my experience (circa 2005), makes no difference. For example, been using Amarock, k3b etc. in gnome settings with no evil experienced. I also use gnome apps in my current default ops (Mint V KDE).

Again, this is only an opinion... treat it as such :D .

DataMan
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

For me I never experienced any stability problems. The issues mainly stem from what you just said, bloat, and having all the kde libs in gnome for just one app. I used amarok on gnome once and it didn't know too much longer to start from what I experienced. Nothing really noticeable. I suppose it could though because all your gnome apps use gnome libs which are already running. If you call amarok then it has to start all the kde libs as opposed to the ones that are just running. As for the look, thats personal preference. If you're going for a really polished sexy system then maybe the different looks wouldn't work for you. I personally just like what works and so from time to time I do use kde apps on gnome and the other way around.

If you have room for everything, don't mind an extra second or two or three to start an app, and don't care about the looks (which with most distros you can change anyway with themes, etc) then I don't see any real downside to it.

Linux=Choice so from what I understand it really is just whatever people want to do. No real downsides..
bobsmith

Post by bobsmith »

Thanks for the replies. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm off to install Amarok.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Another one here who regularly uses some KDE apps in GNOME -- among them, Amarok, Konqueror, KSnapshot. No problems with doing so, as far as I'm concerned.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

...And krusader in Mint 6 uses the new 2.0 version designed for kde4, and it looks amazing! It works fine; I'm even eager to see Mint6-KDE now.

Return to “Beginner Questions”