Two or three questions about Mint 4

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alun_sundry

Two or three questions about Mint 4

Post by alun_sundry »

Having installed Mint 4 on my older pc, while it is booting up the monitor adjusts itself three times to accommodate different splash screens/ the command line-type startup remarks. It was a relief to find a recent-ish version of Mint that works with my graphics card etc, but can I either get rid of the startup screens or change them so they don't force the monitor to adapt like this. I got rid of the login screen by enabling automatic login, as the login screen had unreadably small text.

A nVidia fx5200 graphics card is involved; I'm unable to get online to download proprietary drivers unless I can transfer one via memory stick from my Mint 6-equipped laptop, though I did find nVidia's own drivers just don't co-operate with Mint 5 or 6 on my desktop pc, after following forum advice to the letter, and as far as I can glean this is due to an incompatibility with the more recent version X Server.

When I was trying out Ubuntu, I saw that versions 7.04 and 7.10 have a security flaw that has to be patched. Is this therefore also true of Mint 4?

Could the bit of Mint 6/Ubuntu 8.10 that deals effortlessly with Mobile Broadband be downloaded separately and installed in Mint 4? If so which files are involved and can I download them with my Mint 6 machine and move them by memory stick to the Mint 4 machine (and if so, how)?

Thanks muchly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Two or three questions about Mint 4

Post by Husse »

This should work for the usplash resizing
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... sh#p105370
The size of GDM (the login screen) is a bit more complicated to fix - basically all suggested solutions are to change the dpi in the Login window
I don't think the 5200 is old enough to have problems with X in Felicia/Intrepid the way you mention
Could the bit of Mint 6/Ubuntu 8.10 that deals effortlessly with Mobile Broadband be downloaded separately
Possibly but not install in Daryna......

Return to “Beginner Questions”