Cannot Install on my new rig

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

I suspect that you may be right about your graphics card since a quick googleing reveals it to be a "vista ready" card, thus it may work in a slightly different way to its predecessors, or it may simply just be too new. sorry for the lack of specific help but I am just about to go home from work, I will see if I can come up with anything better once I get home.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Alephcat wrote:I suspect that you may be right about your graphics card ...
And this assumption is based on what?! Since you appear to know how to use Google, why oh why didn't you just Google for the error message? You might have found this:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/li ... +bug/57502

So the graphics card clearly isn't the problem, Vista has nothing whatsoever to do with this. :D
greatgreenguru wrote: I have just purchased a new gaming rig and my intention was to have a small linux partition. ... It is a E6600 with 2 SATA 2 drives and an 8800GTS gpu.
Can you please check the technical specifications and tell us what SATA controller you have in that machine? Also: Can you please try any other Linux distro and see if the error appears again? We have to troubleshoot. It's either a hardware problem (meaning that NO Linux whatsoever will work), a temporary kernel problem (meaning that a newer distro with a newer Kernel version might work), a distribution related problem (meaning that only Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros such as Mint have this problem; others such as OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mandriva, Gentoo, etc. maybe don't have this problem) or only a Mint-related problem (meaning that maybe a newer version of Ubuntu such as the new 7.04 "Feisty" might work?)
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

sorry I was tired and just about to leave work so I missed the middle post
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Alephcat wrote:sorry I was tired and just about to leave work so I missed the middle post
We forgive you :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Core_2_Duo_Support

" ... Foxconn P9657AA-8EKRS2H with Ubuntu Edgy. Random freezes. Edgy does not support motherboard integrated Marvell LAN card so using a Netgear PCI LAN card. Vanilla Edgy set-up (i.e. not using Nvidia provided drivers etc). Hardware works find under Windows XP. Had to disable APIC in BIOS to get Edgy installed otherwise random lockups during installation. Windows would not boot with APIC disabled, so re-enabled it after Edgy installed. ..."

Return to “Installation & Boot”