newly installed apps not showing up in the menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: newly installed apps not showing up in the menu

Post by newW2 »

You usually only have to right click on the menu button and select reload plugins to see the installed app show on the menu. Sometimes you have to add a launcher in the menu manually. One of the better examples of that are adding ligthtscribe simple menu. Here is a good howto for that:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/installing-li ... beler.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nop

Post by nop »

if apps do not show up in the menu I go to folder
/usr/share/applications
where I find them (until now) copy and paste on the desktop.
bobsmith

Post by bobsmith »

Yep, I find this to be a pain too. Some apps show up in the menu, some don't, and others have no UI to run. Sometimes there is a UI, but it's a separate app. It can be very confusing for us MS converts. My brother was asking how I like Linux and I told him that I like it a lot, but it's not a game for sissies. It can be fun for those of us who enjoy the challenge of the "hunt". Plus, as a retiree, I have the time. It's also perfect for those who are satisfied with the default install - usually there's no tinkering needed - but where's the fun in that?

Adding a launcher is very easy. Just right-click on the Menu button, select "Edit menu", and then select the group you want it in, and "New Item". Enter the name - it can be anything you want. Enter the command... finding the command usually isn't too bad. I open Nautilus and go to File System in the left pane, then to usr/bin. I have always found the command I needed there. Notice that you can press the little launcher icon (the springy thing) and choose your own image. I keep a bunch of icons in a separate folder and link to those when making the launcher. Icons can be found at /usr/share/icons - and other places. Sometimes I just go to google and find my own, but more often than not there is a perfect icon in /usr/share/icons and all its sub-folders.

Good luck!
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oakhilltop »

To find where an application is you can open a terminal and type

which application_name

For example

which gedit
will return /usr/bin/gedit
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

I have noticed this too - but I'm convinced its only since Mint 6
I never had this problem in Mint 5.
My hunch is that apps installed using the Mint Install program are fine, but if i install using Synaptic or the deb installer they simply don't appear...
Anyone else able to verify this?
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

yes- I have had numerous issue and had to do 3-4 installs for felica. wish I stayed with daryna. Maybe tomorrow I will install daryna...I likw mint and Clem works hard but Daryna was nice - Cassandra the best and Felica is not so good for me. slower too!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I also have had apps not uninstall i just found out too. I am disappointed with felica. really, really wish I kept my system as it was with Daryna 2 days ago. I am very frustrated. Just being honest - no flames.... :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
galen

Post by galen »

the only ones I've seen are ace-of-penguins, which does not seem to have menu links in the package. older software may not even try to create menu listings
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

Any chance this is related to my bug: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=18811 Unfortunately, I have not had the time to look into a proper fix.
afrodeity

Post by afrodeity »

me too, I just installed basilisk, but its nowhere in the menu. It shows up in package managers as having been installed. And I even reinstalled it to be safe. No luck, where is it?
afrodeity

Post by afrodeity »

afrodeity wrote:me too, I just installed basilisk, but its nowhere in the menu. It shows up in package managers as having been installed. And I even reinstalled it to be safe. No luck, where is it?
Okay, figured it out using the instructions given in bobsmiths post above. Now I'm trying to install virtualbox, but same routine doesn't seem to work ... I guess this is all about hacking?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I just installed Virtualbox OSE. The launcher is in Accessories.
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

I've switched back to Mint 5 - all my worries are gone :P
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

All installed applications have a script file -- usually in ' /usr ' or ' /opt ' which will launch the application when the script file is run. But to find this script file is a big question. once you find the script file you caN create a desktop icon launcher by right clicking on disktop and entering the launch dialogue box under ' command ' Often the script file is in ' /usr/xxxx/=script ' or some sub folder.
If you have file manager and find a quetionable script file, just double click on it and if it launches you can set up a desktop icon.0
beth

Post by beth »

I am using Mint 7 RC1. It's very impressive. However, like all Linux operating systems there seems to be a devil in the details. Usually those details make no sense whatsoever to those of us who wrote programs and formats decades and decades before Windows came along. The Linux language, while I understand why everyone had to use language different from Windows, is simply stated -- outrageous and verbally unrelated to the actions of the applications. How newbie geeks ever navigate Linux successfully is amazing.

So here I am again, stuck on something simple -- a file splitter, and I find the very issues I am stuck on, are the same issues others are also stuck on. Downloading from the internet packages is no problem with Mint. Some of the downloads will indeed copy onto the desktop where they can really be installed and used, and even have a link on the menu. Others, however, get lost in the so-called "root" system (even with an installer) and that system is the beginning of a trek through mental illness for anyone trying to find their download files. If one does not engage in cursing before being sunk in the "root", you shall before all is said and done. Ultimately and thankfully, we have forums to bail us out.

Ok, I need a file splitter. A simple file splitter. One that loads easily. One that will place a link on the menu. One that will install without all the mumbo jumbo. "Root" requires a password, yet it won't take mine. I prefer to leave "root" to the ethers. I don't want to have a successful download, and then have to hunt for the file, then finding the file won't open and finding it's impossible to use the thing.

So here I cast my problem at the feet of those who understand the Linux mumbo jumbo, and make a plea for help.

Thank you. :(
beth

Post by beth »

I've found a solution to my search for a file splitter that will load and place an icon on the menu on Mint 7 RC1 --

After going through all the installation "stuff" that didn't work on Mint 7 to install a Linux compatible file splitter, I loaded the Wine package that's in the Mint Software Package. Then on the internet I downloaded a free file splitter that I used on Windows -- GSplit.

GSplit loaded on the desktop, and from there it was a simple click and Wine picked it up and installed it, complete with an icon in the menu. Yea!!!

I also tried to load GSplit using Crossover, and it wouldn't work.

The motto for Linux -- "If at first you don't succeed, you'll be trying and trying and trying again ..." This is a real learning experience and worth every bit of the frustration!

:D
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

hmmmm .... i get some problems! with it too but i do these steps:
1. run the terminal.
2. write the name of the program in it.
3. press enter...
4. the programs load , search it in the menu (the program is there)...

I hope it helps....
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Frank130,
Just restart your computer, no harm, no foul, then mintUpdate will find more packages to update, perform it again, . . .and then, to be sure everything has loaded properly, you can logout & back in again, or do what I did, and restart again. . . sorta sounds like Wind*** . . . . brrrrrr. :lol:

No errors on restart, updates went along fine, no problems.(for me)
I think it has to do with how "libqtcore4" and "dbus" interact, and as you are updating libqtcore4 . . .

regards, Richard
marty510
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marty510 »

I just installed mint 7 and all is good except I can't seem to find my beloved wallpaper tray so I can look at all my pretty pictures. I installed it and reinstalled it but I can't find it anywhere, it usually takes a restart for it to show up.........it must not be on my system?

Ah, Yes, desktop DRAPES. Nicer than wallpaper tray (I think, I haven't seen....A New?.... wallpaper tray yet). Tried to find it, but no luck at all. Sure would like to know why this is. Synaptic shows wallpaper tray is installed.
kat22

Post by kat22 »

i have a mint 6 KDE CE destop
earlier had elyssa worked fine. now have problems starting the virtual machine after installing virtualbox i get the error - no suitable modules
i tried modprobe vboxdrv, still unable to get the virtual machine to start, user group has been added, virtual drive has also been created
please help

Return to “Software & Applications”