Leave it on or Turn It Off?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cyberglyph

Leave it on or Turn It Off?

Post by cyberglyph »

Is it better to leave your pc on all the time and have a sleep mode or turn off when not using it?
I didn't dare leave my Windows Side on, it would work right when I would try and get it out of sleep mode. Since I have installed Mint I don't seem to have any problems like that anymore, but would it be ok to leave it on for 8 hours a day unattended? Do I have to worry about internet attacks or anything else?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: Leave it on or Turn It Off?

Post by AK Dave »

Most of my computers run 24/7. The same linux you put on a notebook or desktop computer, with a few minor changes, is the same linux that can be slapped on big iron servers or used to power one node of a 512-core supercomputer. You're not hurting anything to leave your computer on.

You may save some coin on your electric bill by powering down, suspending, unplugging, etc. But thats not your question. Without a doubt, powersave features save power. And thus save money. An electrical device that is plugged in still draws power, so if you're determined to save every penny then unplug everything when not in use. Thats hardly practical.

Return to “Beginner Questions”