Can anyone recommend a TV tuner card that will work?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nevart

Can anyone recommend a TV tuner card that will work?

Post by Nevart »

Hi,

I already have a WinFast tv tuner that works in Xandros but not sure if it will work in Mint without a lot of tweaking. It's important to me that the card can accept input from a non-tv source, which is where most Linux stuff seems to fail (for example, K-Player will show standard TV but not digital). I will be more likely to use the card for editing videos that I create than for watching TV, which is why I ask.

So, can anybody recommend a suitable card, especially if it is one that you have personally used and found no major problems with in Mint?

Thanks,

Nev
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Can anyone recommend a TV tuner card that will work?

Post by kwisher »

If your tuner card works with Xandros then it will most likely work with any current Linux Distro. There are two types of TV tuner cards. One is for standard definition/analog (ATSC) and the other is for digital signals (DVB). It sounds like your card is only capable of standard def/analog (ATSC).

You mention that you want to edit video. Is this from TV that you have captured or from a camcorder or other video device? What type of inputs does your WinFast card have? It sounds like this card was made for Windows and you will probably find that all its features are not supported in Linux. Video capture from an external source and TV tuners are separate animals. For capturing video to my PC I use firewire connected to my DV camcorder. To capture analog sources I use a analog to digital converter from Sony.

For Linux TV tuner cards this is a good starting point:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S ... Categories

I use a Kworld-115 analog/digital tuner card in my Mint-MythTV system.
kf4krv

Post by kf4krv »

kwisher, did your Kworld-115 take much/any tweaking to get going or did Mint auto-detect it fairly easily? I've been trying to get an Avermedia A180R card going and it has been an ordeal with only limited success so far. Thanks, Ed
kwisher wrote:If your tuner card works with Xandros then it will most likely work with any current Linux Distro. There are two types of TV tuner cards. One is for standard definition/analog (ATSC) and the other is for digital signals (DVB). It sounds like your card is only capable of standard def/analog (ATSC).

You mention that you want to edit video. Is this from TV that you have captured or from a camcorder or other video device? What type of inputs does your WinFast card have? It sounds like this card was made for Windows and you will probably find that all its features are not supported in Linux. Video capture from an external source and TV tuners are separate animals. For capturing video to my PC I use firewire connected to my DV camcorder. To capture analog sources I use a analog to digital converter from Sony.

For Linux TV tuner cards this is a good starting point:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S ... Categories

I use a Kworld-115 analog/digital tuner card in my Mint-MythTV system.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

nevart,

I do not know if this information will help you at all.

I have just installed Elyssa and I plugged in my Hauppauge WinTv Nova-t USB. Downloaded Kaffeine, and opened it. Instead of the normal 5 options there were 6. The sixth one is Digital TV, which I clicked. I then selected the area where I wanted to tune from and it found all of the Freeview channels, and just worked.

Best regards Keith
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

Mine works great, it is a LifeView Fly Video 2000, see it here:
http://www.google.com/images?q=+LifeVie ... nt=firefox

I just need to create this file: /etc/modprobe.d/options
And add that line in the file: options saa7134 card=3 gbuffers=4

Then I recommend using TVtime, as the best Linux TV viewer !
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

kf4krv wrote:kwisher, did your Kworld-115 take much/any tweaking to get going or did Mint auto-detect it fairly easily? I've been trying to get an Avermedia A180R card going and it has been an ordeal with only limited success so far. Thanks, Ed
There is a firmware file that had to be downloaded and placed in the appropriate location and add some lines to the modprobe file. Other than that it works great. The Kworld-115 is a dual tuner card (analog & digital) but only one tuner can be used at a time. So I bought two tuners so that I can watch & record at the same time. The only problem I am experiencing is that there is a problem with the analog driver that only allows one analog tuner to work. But from my understanding this is not specific to Kworld only. The analog driver works for multiple vendors. But I did hear yesterday on the AVS forum that the developers are currently working on resolving this issue.

Check out the AVS forums for some great help & info for setting up Linux/MythTV:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Return to “Hardware Support”