Sound Problem- Felicia

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garda

Re: Sound Problem- Felicia

Post by garda »

Sasafrass452 wrote:I'm using ALSA, not OSS.
So does everybody else running Mint/Ubuntu. My point was I had to replace ALSA/PulseAudio with OSS in order to get sound working properly under Intrepid and Felicia.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Seems like a fairly common work-around.

On my PC (Dell XPS 400 with Creative SB XFi) I have to replace Pulse Audio/ALSA with OSS to get sounds working, and I'm running Elyssa. All sounds work, including shutdown.

On my laptop (Lenovo X61s with Intel HD Audio) I had to remove Felicia and go back to Elyssa. I'm using Pulse Audio/ALSA, and all sounds work except shutdown (and I believe that is a sequencing issue, since testing the shutdown sound works). I also have Intrepid as a Live USB, and it works well on this laptop (except shutdown).

Booting to the Intrepid Live USB on the PC I have no sounds at all, since the SB XFi card doesn't work with ALSA.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

A small step in the right direction.... I installed esound, which fixed my email sound issue although there's static when it plays. But I still have no shutdown sound.... Oddly enough, esound fixed it when I had Ubuntu Gutsy. Now, I only hear a system beep when I shutdown or reboot. Is there anything I can do? I still have remnants of pulseaudio installed, which I think might be getting in the way of making this work. How can I remove those packages without also removing other things with them?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Anyone?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I like Mint as well, which is why I didn't want to switch to another distro. But I still don't have a shutdown sound....
michaeljones06 wrote:This worked a treat.... I'm glad as I think Mint is the best distro I have used...
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

If anyone knows a way to fix this, PLEASE clue me in!
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Well, I've been bitten by my own forgetfulness--again. :oops:

I just installed Mint 6 from scratch and everything works. I think the problem I had before was in trying to preserve my /home directory in a separate partition. Husse has provided good advice about that. I assumed that /home only had my files and some application configs, which I wanted to preserve. However, there must be enough differences between Elyssa and Felicia that sounds, displays, and other settings are also affected.

My apologies to Husse--again, you always provide sage advice. Thanks again!

Sasafrass, one note: I still don't have sound on shutdown, but I recall that was a sequence issue just with laptops. The sound file is there, and there is a trigger for it, but the trigger is late in the shutdown sequence--evidently after the hardware or speakers are shut down. I have shutdown sound on my PC, so the sequence is different in that hardware configuration. All other sounds work great with the default pulse audio settings on the laptop.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

That's interesting.... Pulse was the very thing that caused my sound problems! But I still have a few packages from Pulse installed, which I think may be preventing my shutdown sound from working(I hear a system beep instead), but I can't remove them without removing things I want to keep. Any ideas?
kwatson512 wrote:Sasafrass, one note: I still don't have sound on shutdown, but I recall that was a sequence issue just with laptops. The sound file is there, and there is a trigger for it, but the trigger is late in the shutdown sequence--evidently after the hardware or speakers are shut down. I have shutdown sound on my PC, so the sequence is different in that hardware configuration. All other sounds work great with the default pulse audio settings on the laptop.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

*bump*
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Still don't have a shutdown sound.... Can someone PLEASE help?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Is the shutdown sound all you are worried about? Oh, Sas, that may be why you are not getting many responses. Most of us did not have that sound in Mint 5, so it was a continuation in Mint 6. As mentioned a couple of times already, Pulseaudio and the sequence for shutting down somehow does its work quicker than the sound file can play. I get a beep, as most everyone else I know of. With everything else working pretty much flawlessly, a shutdown sound is very trivial to me. Though, if you rip out Pulseaudio and follow some of those suggestions over at the Ubuntu forum, you can probably get a shutdown sound. However, I am really enjoying the benefits of Pulseaudio. Our hardware responds differently, but I would hope you would be getting some positive benefits to all the advances in Mint 6. Good luck.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I hear a beep as well when I shut down.... I don't use pulseaudio, since it caused the problems I was having in the first place. However, I still have a few remaining packages from pulse, that I can't remove without removing things I want along with it. Any suggestions?
rivenought wrote:Is the shutdown sound all you are worried about? Oh, Sas, that may be why you are not getting many responses. Most of us did not have that sound in Mint 5, so it was a continuation in Mint 6. As mentioned a couple of times already, Pulseaudio and the sequence for shutting down somehow does its work quicker than the sound file can play. I get a beep, as most everyone else I know of. With everything else working pretty much flawlessly, a shutdown sound is very trivial to me. Though, if you rip out Pulseaudio and follow some of those suggestions over at the Ubuntu forum, you can probably get a shutdown sound. However, I am really enjoying the benefits of Pulseaudio. Our hardware responds differently, but I would hope you would be getting some positive benefits to all the advances in Mint 6. Good luck.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Well, if you really want to completely remove Pulseaudio, make a list of the packages that Synaptic says will be removed. Then, add back in what you want to keep. I had to do that with debian when I removed a meta package. I just added back in what I removed with the meta package. The packages were still there, but I added them manually. I had good results, so probably you will, as well. Good luck.

Return to “Software & Applications”