Felicia: Broadcom (BCM4318) - Network Manager | wlan0

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcurran

Felicia: Broadcom (BCM4318) - Network Manager | wlan0

Post by mcurran »

Hello:

I noticed that in the latest release I am able to use the new broadcom restricted/linux drivers for my Linksys Wireless-G PCI card (WMP54GS), but the bandwith is only about a quarter-to-half the speed of the Windows drivers supplied with the card that I'm currently using on my XP partition. So I decided to switch from the new b43 driver and try out ndiswrapper. I have everything successfully installed, and also have the linux drivers all blacklisted (bcm43xx, wl, b43, and ssb). I have configured the card in the network manager ("Network Connections"). My problem is, I cannot get it to connect to my wireless network or even display a list of available wireless networks. It seems the network manager allows me to configure the "hidden" network, or at least add it, but it isn't actually working with it. Also when I type iwconfig, my wlan0 is no longer there. I can only connect unless I load the linux driver b43, and then my wlan0 suddenly reappears. Could somebody please let me know if you can provide any insight on why x is renaming or removing wlan0 when ndiswrapper is loaded? Here's my two iwconfig outputs:

(With just ndiswrapper loaded):

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

(With b43 loaded):

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"PJ1O8"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.422 GHz Access Point: 00:18:01:E2:48:36
Bit Rate=24 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:(________) Security mode:open
Power Management:off
Link Quality=45/100 Signal level:-61 dBm Noise level=-70 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hotweiss

Re: Felicia: Broadcom (BCM4318) - Network Manager | wlan0

Post by hotweiss »

Are you using encryption? ndiswrapper doesn't like wpa, you have to use wicd to use it.
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

I'm using WEP encryption, hex.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

mcurran wrote:I'm using WEP encryption, hex.
Try installing this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
reboot after
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

No, that is what I'm using and have been using. I would like to try and use ndiswrapper instead, because there is currently an issue with that driver which does not allow it to go over 11mbs or something, and I heard ndiswrapper and the Windows drivers usually work better anyways; either way, right now, it is noticeably slower than it has been in previous releases, and also slower than my XP install on this dual-boot machine (25% of the speed achieved in XP). I also tried the older version two, bcm43xx. Thanks you for your assistance though.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Try this guide:

http://blog.roberthallam.org/2008/04/br ... iswrapper/

PS-just a note, download the appropriate XP driver from your cards vendor or it might not work

Return to “Hardware Support”