GRUB bootloder or lack there of?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: GRUB bootloder or lack there of?

Post by Husse »

Are you sure you just skipped language (I know - there is a Skip button :)) because grub is the last thing to be installed
As far as I know there is no limit to where you can install Linux, but to install it in 630 to 640 GB may be too far into the drive
It's hell too google this up :(
Hope to have an answer about this soon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It should work I think but it is a very bad solution not to put your operating system in the beginning of the hard disk
Very first the swap partition then the root partition
And if you litterally fill your hard disk completely I think you may run into problems
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

I have a thought. Since you can obviously boot the Mint live CD, do so, then go to Terminal and run each of the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo grub
That will set Terminal to grub mode, so instead of seeing the normal: "yourname@yourname-desktop" you'll see the prompt: "grub>".

Then run the command:

find /boot/grub/stage1
I'd almost expect to see an error or errors here. If so then I'll want to know exactly what error(s) show up. And if there are errors then run:

quit
Which will drop you back to "yourname@yourname-desktop".

Then I'd like you to run:

sudo fdisk -l
NOTE: That's a lower case L, not a one!

And also copy-n-paste that output here.

If on the other hand, when you run "find /boot/grub/stage1", you get an output something like:
(hd0,1)
Then instead of typing "quit", go ahead and enter (following the "grub>" prompt):

root (hd0,1)
NOTE: You would of course use the numbers that "find /boot/grub/stage1" produced! In my example "/boot/grub/stage1" is on Hard Drive #1, partition #2.

Then run (again following the "grub>" prompt):

setup (hd0)
NOTE: That is a zero - indicating Hard Drive #1.

And then finally:

quit
Have I completely confused you? If so ask for clarification before proceeding!

Another option would be trying Super Grub Disk:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Return to “Installation & Boot”