4 Gig Memory

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cyberglyph

4 Gig Memory

Post by cyberglyph »

Ok, I don't quite understand this, I installed 4 gig memory in my system. I downloaded the x64 version live cd and it only sees 2.5 gig what gives? The MB I have is a Asus A8n32-sli deluxe. When I boot up the computer and delete into the bios it sees 4048 but will only let me use 2.5 gig why? is there a setting i'm missing to use the full boatload? Thanks Guys kinda stumped.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: 4 Gig Memory

Post by Fred »

cyberglyph,

The first thing that comes to mind is the raid array. Sometimes by default the bios will dedicate x amount of RAM to a raid cache, even if you aren't using raid. Check your bios closely and see if this might be the problem. Nothing else comes to mind right off hand.

Fred
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Fred wrote:cyberglyph,

The first thing that comes to mind is the raid array. Sometimes by default the bios will dedicate x amount of RAM to a raid cache, even if you aren't using raid. Check your bios closely and see if this might be the problem. Nothing else comes to mind right off hand.

Fred
I'm using RAID and it shows 3.9 GB for me. The reason (I think) is because you are using the Live CD, so the remaining memory is used for a virtual drive...
Fred

Post by Fred »

hotweiss,

Ahhh... I didn't even notice that he was using the live cd. I should read a little slower or closer or something. I would be willing to bet that you are correct in your assessment. :-)

Fred
cyberglyph

Post by cyberglyph »

My raid thing is enabled, I have to go into the bios and turn off huh? I was using a live cd but I expected it say I have 3.9 or 3.8 gig available but using x.x gig for the live cd.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

cyberglyph wrote:My raid thing is enabled, I have to go into the bios and turn off huh? I was using a live cd but I expected it say I have 3.9 or 3.8 gig available but using x.x gig for the live cd.
No, leave your RAID on. It shows 2.5 GB only because you are using the LIVE CD, the 1.4 GB of memory has been allocated for a virtual drive.
cyberglyph

Post by cyberglyph »

What I did was disable the Raid, which in turn gives me a much faster boot up, but I only show 2.5 gig available in the 32 bit version. I have tried several bios configurations. Its really strange, the bios show 4096 installed 2.5 gig available? Weird,
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

cyberglyph wrote:What I did was disable the Raid, which in turn gives me a much faster boot up, but I only show 2.5 gig available in the 32 bit version. I have tried several bios configurations. Its really strange, the bios show 4096 installed 2.5 gig available? Weird,
Don't worry it will show you 4GB once you actually install Mint.

Return to “Hardware Support”