XP in a virtualbox on linux mint (OUTDATED)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
tawan

XP in a virtualbox on linux mint (OUTDATED)

Post by tawan »

Out of date info, please look elsewhere.

You will need a copy of windows XP. You will need plenty of ram and at least 6Gb spare harddrive. (i'm on an oldish laptop but with 2gb ram and it's fine)

Nothing here will get you in trouble but I do need to improve the tutorial in places, so good luck, i hope you don't get stuck -- you will be fine, honest :D

NOTE: May 2008 version 1.5 supplied in Package Manager has a know bug (can't share drives between computers) This Version (1.6) is much nicer. It has various improvements making some of the following tutorial easier.

Note: virtualbox probably isn't for you if you want full on power and 3D funky stuff. I use this only for FlashCS3 which for now does not work in Wine - anyway it will do you no harm to try as it can all be removed if you don't like it.

1) Daryna menu (or Elyssa soon:)) > Package Manager > Password "billgatessucks" > Search > "virtualbox"

(i get 4 options here - virtualbox-ose, virtualbox-ose modules (generic), virtualbox-ose modules (server), virtualbox-ose source)

i clicked to install the top two virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose modules (generic)

apply.

2) Daryan menu > System Tools (maybe different in Elyssa) > Innotec Virtualbox

You will become familiar with this window so don't hate it :-)

click "new" > next > now add a name "bloodywindows" or "myXP" > choose OS type XP > next

choose the amount of ram for the machine, leave a lot for linux and take enough for XP i find 600mb (out of my 2gb) is good - you can edit this later as many times as you like.

the new hardisk screen > click new > next > dynamically expanding is best for me (fixed run quicker they say) > next

choose a size, 6GB is about minimum for XP and a couple of apps - so upwards of that is better eg 10GB, 20.... > next > finish

now you are back at the virtualbox OSE window but it has a new machine in there

3) daryna menu > administration > users and groups > your name > properties > advanced > change main group

add yourself there to vboxusers, failing to do this will give you the error; "The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect.."

or in terminal;

Code: Select all

sudo adduser yourusername vboxusers
Now log out and back into Mint (3 finger salute CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE)

don't expect to be up and running yet with out a few restarts of the virtual machine and a few more settings...

4) In the VirtualBox OSE window, select your machine > settings > share the CD drive...

put an XP disc in your disc drive > click you new machine in the virtualbox OSE window > start > next (double check these options, they should be fine) > next

machine boots > install windows XP > be very very bored for some time (if you get your mouse 'stuck' in the virtual machine - press the RIGHT CNTRL key to release it)

5) when it's done installing XP > go to the menus up top of the window containing XP > Devices > install guest options (this does loads of cool funky stuff like letting you run in seamless mode)

- if this wont work > shut down windows and try again (you may also need to 'run' the guest additions somehow (improvement needed here by me)

6) anyway once the guest additions bit is done you will be able to get sound and run the machine full screen - even seamlessly - but...

Sound - with the machine shut down and guest additions installed > click the machine in the virtualbox OSE window > click settings > audio > ALSA

Seamless window thang - you can possibly skip this in the latest release of virtualbox
i) with windows running make a short cut to my documents or calculator or something else that runs "not maximised or minimised"
ii) put that shortcut in "startup items" (that folder in your start menu) - this is weird but seamless mode wont work if something is maximised or minimised and you HAVE to have this thing open all the time you are in seamless mode - hence you make it run at startup and get used to not closing it. - weird i know :-)
iii) open that 'thing' eg "my documents" and make sure it is not maximised or minimised
iv) now RIGHT CNTRL + L puts you in seamless mode. you may have to adjust the size and position of the windows start menu to make sure its visible)

the main point here is if you get weird graphical problems with the desktop going black - then re-read the above confusing bit

(something like AWN windows manager lets you navigate between your Linux programs and Windows Box)

7) sharing drives - you will want to share a drive or folder between linux and windows so ...

problems in virtualbox 1.5 - don't use it, use 1.4 or 1.6

with the widows beast shut down go to the virtualbox OSE window > your machine > settings > shared folders > add something like home/yourname - this is all done by click, click, click - you should manage it alone. (i must improve this bit)

now boot up XP again > start > run > type "cmd" > in there type "net use x: \\vboxsvr\sharename"

"x:" just becomes the drive windows uses for this folder "sharename" is the name (not location) of the folder you chose above.

this can also be done using the Network Places or Mount.
besides personal tweaking you are done :D

sorry if you got stuck anywhere - i will improve this with your comments and help.
Last edited by tawan on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Husse

Re: how to: setup XP in a virtualbox on linux mint

Post by Husse »

Thank you
I don't think we have such a tutorial before
tawan

Post by tawan »

hi Tony G, glad you found the tutorial helpful.

I only had the "System error 67" "The network cannot be found" or similar with Virtualbox 1.5, it is a known bug - i did not get it with 1.4 or 1.6 - but i run as administrator only and have not tried accounts.

security - i installed the excellent and free virus scanner from free-av.com - just out of habit - i don't allow windows to go on line and download anything for it from Linux and share - like you spotted you can do.

it seems like you are ok - or did i miss your questions?
Verlager
Level 2
Level 2

Stuck on virtualbox shared folders

Post by Verlager »

I read this post and followed the instructions for Shared Folders in virtualbox 1.6.2 OSE to the best of my abilities.
I clicked settings/shared folders/ and added bin /home/rmack/bin (full access) and clicked OK. In XP, I ran cmd, net use x: \\vboxsvr\bin but received an error:
System error 67 has occurred. The network name cannot be found.

What's wrong? How can I fix this?
tawan

Post by tawan »

hi verlager

that error was a big problem on v1.5. I had it with 1.5 and even on installing 1.6 still had it - I had to completely remove any trace of virtualbox, install 1.6 again and it went smoothly.

If you are getting this error with 1.6 i'm quite mystified as to why. May i suggest you try the virtualbox forums and post back with a solution when you find one? :)

sorry I can't help, maybe someone else can.
tawan

Re: Stuck on virtualbox shared folders

Post by tawan »

Verlager wrote:I read this post and followed the instructions for Shared Folders in virtualbox 1.6.2 OSE to the best of my abilities.
I clicked settings/shared folders/ and added bin /home/rmack/bin (full access) and clicked OK. In XP, I ran cmd, net use x: \\vboxsvr\bin but received an error:
System error 67 has occurred. The network name cannot be found.

What's wrong? How can I fix this?
ok this is a late reply, but to anyone in the same situation, reinstall guest additions again, until the error goes away.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

This tutorial is woefully out of date. If you're using anything older than Virtualbox 2.1 then you really really really need to upgrade.
tawan

Post by tawan »

felesial wrote:hi;

thanks for this tutorial,

i've got two errors when i starting "bloodywindows" =)

i took a screenshot, i'll be very glad if you take a look. : http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... hotqq8.png
The tutorial is out of date. If you follow the basic idea it is ok but version numbers and certain things will have changed.

I can't seem to load your screenshot, is the link working?
tawan

Post by tawan »

are you a member of vboxusers and did you logout since then?

did you run the command the error said ./etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup ?

did you try DKMS?

actually what i'd do it go to the sun site and find the newest deb of the OSE, try again, good luck.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

What version of Vbox are you trying to use? This whole business with "OSE" makes me think someone is still stuck in the past thinking about vbox 1.6, not vbox 2.1.
tawan

Post by tawan »

i have not used VirtualBox since the last time I edited this tutorial so not only is the tutorial out of date but I am too.

Maybe someone can do a new tutorial who has more recent knowledge and this tutorial can sink away to the depths of the forum :)
tawan

Post by tawan »

As I no longer use VirtualBox and no one else has an answer right now I would suggest that you try the virtualbox forums or google for;

Code: Select all

Intrepid VirtualBox 'the error message'
sorry to be of no help :) good luck!
Fred

Post by Fred »

If you will follow the instructions I gave in this thread you should be able to install Virtualbox without problems.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... or#p116611

Fred
tawan

Re: XP in a virtualbox on linux mint (OUTDATED)

Post by tawan »

this seems to be a simple painless way download here

Return to “Tutorials”