Live CD won't start at all

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kansasnoob

Re: Live CD won't start at all

Post by kansasnoob »

marianne wrote:I have Linux Mint 5 xfce verson on my laptop and I am trying to do a clean install of Linux Mint 6. However the Live CD wont start at all. It is as if my machine won't read it when i reboot my computer. IT does however show up in my menue. I tried the CD in my other computer and it booted just fine, so I know it isn't anything wrong with that.

Any suggestions?
Does the computer just go ahead and boot the Mint 5 from the Hard Drive? That is, does it just not even try to boot from the CD?

If so it's possible that you may need to adjust BIOS to boot from CD first.

I'm always reluctant to try and give specific instructions regarding BIOS due to variations between motherboard manufacturers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Just to absolutely verify, sorry to be redundant, but you insert the CD and then restart and the computer restarts into Mint 5 just like it's not even trying to boot from the CD?

Anyway to determine how to access and edit the BIOS -serious stuff here - we need to know the exact make and model of the computer and/or motherboard.

Do you know? Running the following in Terminal may give us a clue:

Code: Select all

lshw
But not enough usually. It's best to just know what you have.

If it's a stock computer with the original motherboard the make and model should tell us enough.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

marianne,

I am a bit confused as you say that you have mint 5 installed, which would suggest that at some point in time the CD drive must have been recognized????

Best regards Keith
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

tinca wrote:marianne,

I am a bit confused as you say that you have mint 5 installed, which would suggest that at some point in time the CD drive must have been recognized????

Best regards Keith
I've wondered about that also. That's why I asked for clarification!
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

One more redundant test :idea:

Do you still have the Mint 5 XFCE CD you originally installed with?

If so will the computer boot and run that CD?

In the meanwhile I'll try to google up some BIOS setting info for your machine.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Oh, duh? What model is your laptop?
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

This is a fairly good "non-specific" tutorial regarding BIOS:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... change.htm

Of course if you can boot the older Mint 5 CD but not the new CD then that's not the problem anyway.

Certainly a failed CD drive is another possibility.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

marianne,

it really sounds as if your bios is set to boot from the hard drive first, and because of that your computer will always start with your Linux installation. The only way forward is to go into your bios setup and have a look at your boot sequence. You must have the first boot option to be your Cd/Dvd drive.

There is a BIG RISK if you have never done this before as if you get it wrong your computer will not start at all. So go very slowly and if you are not sure of anything take the option to "EXIT WITHOUT SAVING" this will preserve the settings that you already have. From your above post it would seem that to get into your bios you have to press the F2 key as soon as your computer boots. Mine is to press the Delete key.

There are so many bios vendors out there that it is not possible for anyone to offer you firm instructions unless you are very lucky and someone with the same make and model reads this thread.

Have you tried Google and searched for your computer and model, you may just get lucky. Sorry I can not be of more help.

It seems strange that at some time your computer must have booted from the Cd/Dvd drive as you managed to install Mint 5?

Best regards Keith
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

marianne wrote:I have a multicom compal IFL91 pc. the only info about it i could find now was these: http://prisguide.amobil.no/product.php?productId=83080 which is in norwegian. hope it is understandable.

I couldnt find the cd with mint 5 on it, but i did find a ubuntu 8.04, which didn't start either. However, dvds, and data dvds/cds are read fine - except for these installation cds.

One more thing i noticed when my computer start i have the F2 option for Setup - but i also notice there is an F12 option which says something like [boot selection] etc ( i've tried several times now to read what it says, but it flashes by too fast.) does this count for something? Can I try this?

EDIT: the installation cds are read in my menue - but it just wont run when i start the computer like it should.

If you have an F12 for boot selection option, press the F12 key during POST. It'll boot into a menu giving you options on where to boot from. If your CD is NOT listed as a boot option (with the live CD in the drive at power up), then you'll need to go into setup and look around for your drives...making sure the CD drive is listed. Setup should be listed under options in the F12 menu.

SImilar to Dell's boot options.....

-Post back if successful.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

marianne wrote:I have a multicom compal IFL91 pc. the only info about it i could find now was these: http://prisguide.amobil.no/product.php?productId=83080 which is in norwegian. hope it is understandable.

I couldnt find the cd with mint 5 on it, but i did find a ubuntu 8.04, which didn't start either. However, dvds, and data dvds/cds are read fine - except for these installation cds.

One more thing i noticed when my computer start i have the F2 option for Setup - but i also notice there is an F12 option which says something like [boot selection] etc ( i've tried several times now to read what it says, but it flashes by too fast.) does this count for something? Can I try this?

EDIT: the installation cds are read in my menue - but it just wont run when i start the computer like it should.
Well, in Dell's you can push F12 when the "Dell logo" appears and then choose a device, like IDE CD ROM, or USB, (by "highlighting it" using the up and down arrows) and then select "boot from CD ROM", etc.

You can normally escape without making changes just by hitting Esc. (but be sure to take your time and read the menu presented)!

So, yeah, I'd insert the Mint Disc you want to boot, restart and when that script momentarily flashes by press F12 and see what options it gives you.

I believe that will only temporarily boot the CD. Or in other words you'd need to follow the same steps each time you want to boot a Live CD.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

steve9199 wrote:

If you have an F12 for boot selection option, press the F12 key during POST. It'll boot into a menu giving you options on where to boot from. If your CD is NOT listed as a boot option (with the live CD in the drive at power up), then you'll need to go into setup and look around for your drives...making sure the CD drive is listed. Setup should be listed under options in the F12 menu.

SImilar to Dell's boot options.....

-Post back if successful.
+1! I was thinking along the same lines :)
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

In fact I see:
Compal is responsible for manufacturing notebooks for many popular
brands, which include, but are not limited to: Dell, Compaq, HP, Fujitsu-Siemens,
etc
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60041

Return to “Installation & Boot”