Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1. This x64 edition of Linux Mint 6 is almost identical to the Main Edition but compiled for 64 bit processors (Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad, AMD Athlon X2 64 and all x86-64 compliant processors). It comes with all the improvements featured in Linux Mint 6 Main Edition. [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=536

Bug reports: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=20664

Clem.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 released!

Post by darco »

Awesome!.....thanks Clem and Team!
Nice timing...its gonna be a x64 bit weekend w/Windows 7 x64 coming out as well....Gonna be a fun weekend!

darco
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Will give it a try... Flash 64 was terrible with Ubuntu, maybe it will work better with Mint 64. Thanks...
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

I am wishing to install this RC1, and then to upgrade to the stable version when it comes out...

-Would that be as simple as an "apt-get update & apt-get upgrade" ?

_Is there any better way ?
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Just tried it and the Flash bug still exists. I still get a blank area where the Flash video is supposed to be. In addition Flash 64 performs horribly with Youtube HD video. I'm sticking with regular Mint for now...
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Great news, downloading via torrent and going to test it out for any bugs. :)
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Nice job Clem, Husse, Exploder and the Linux Mint Team

I am testing flash now on you tube and it seems to be ok. In High Quality.
So far, as i reported on the blog no problems yet.

Great
Congrats

Cheers
Roberto :wink:
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

fossfollow wrote:can anyone tell me what type of practical pros and cons i would see with using the x64 version over the 32 bit one?
I was not a big fan of the 64 bit Mint, but these are the advantages that I have noticed:

-faster rendering of certain heavy websites like digg.com
-unrar'ing files is twice as fast now
-skimming through movie's is now instantaneous
-I can now use 6 gig's of memory
-applications are slightly snappier due to the fact they are compiled for modern cpu's

...I'm kind of a fan now.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

fossfollow wrote:
hotweiss wrote:
fossfollow wrote:can anyone tell me what type of practical pros and cons i would see with using the x64 version over the 32 bit one?
I was not a big fan of the 64 bit Mint, but these are the advantages that I have noticed:

-faster rendering of certain heavy websites like digg.com
-unrar'ing files is twice as fast now
-skimming through movie's is now instantaneous
-I can now use 6 gig's of memory
-applications are slightly snappier due to the fact they are compiled for modern cpu's

...I'm kind of a fan now.
thanks for the response...you said earlier that the flash wasn't working right on x64 mint...have other people been experiencing problems with the 64 bit version of flash? I think that would be an important factor in my decision to switch to 64 bit mint....
Flash 64 is working on Mint 64, but there are problems with running full screen Youtube high quality and HD videos. Taking things into perspective, it shouldn't really deter you from using Mint 64.
tonydoyle

Post by tonydoyle »

I think its better to stick with regular mint for the moment, i've tried many distros out there and it is definitely the most stable and robust flavour of linux out there for what my needs are, however I will be installing the x64 version on a test system i have to help improve it, keep up the good work guys! thanks
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Hello all, just wanted to say thank you to the Mint team for a job well done so far on the Linux Mint 6 x64 edition. This is my first post on this board, even though I have used Mint in the past since version 3. I have used different distributions from Mandrake, OpenSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, and Fedora. Even though Mint is a direct descendant of Ubuntu, I find that it is quite possibly the best of its kind. I find it more intuitive and user friendly, and am quite pleased with all the hard work the Mint team have gone through to make this distribution one of a kind.

Again, thank you for all the care and fine tuning you have done to make this a great distribution and I have been waiting for an x64 version for quite some time.

Now as for this being an RC; I have found that on my laptop, it is very stable. I am running it on a Gateway M-6846, with an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.87ghz, with 4gb of ram, a 320gb hard drive. It has an Intel 3945 wireless card, Sigmatel 9205 HD audio, and an Intel X3100 video. Everything that I have tested and tried out works wonderfully. I can even run full screen YouTube videos with little to no distortion, or lag. That's a big plus right there for me.
so do people think this rc would be "stable" enough to use on my main system, or should i really wait until the stable release comes out?
It is usually always best to wait until a final version to run any software, especially an OS, but I usually go against what other people do and run it anyway. I have to tell you, at least for me, it has been very stable, and I must also say, very quick and responsive.
rushman

Post by rushman »

Hi to all,
thank you for this 64 bit os. It installed without problems.
I Spend a lot of time converting my laser Disks to dvd.
Via dvgrab, kino, openmovieeditor, All load up but are unstable,
this I think is the nvidia driver, I have changed this today,
and dvgrab and kino seem to be ok.

One other problem Updates in the package manager show a kernel
update, but when I applied it, the os would not start showing kernel panic.

Epson rx520 printer ok but the scanner is not seen.

Ubuntu I have never liked, but this mint os is great

Thank You
Rushman (jim)
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

rushman wrote:Hi to all,
thank you for this 64 bit os. It installed without problems.
I Spend a lot of time converting my laser Disks to dvd.
Via dvgrab, kino, openmovieeditor, All load up but are unstable,
this I think is the nvidia driver, I have changed this today,
and dvgrab and kino seem to be ok.

One other problem Updates in the package manager show a kernel
update, but when I applied it, the os would not start showing kernel panic.

Epson rx520 printer ok but the scanner is not seen.

Ubuntu I have never liked, but this mint os is great

Thank You
Rushman (jim)
Yes the Nvidia is very unstable with wine!
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

hotweiss wrote:Yes the Nvidia is very unstable with wine!
I finally figured out what was causing my wine to crash. The crashes are due to a wine bug. Wine is written in 32 bit code so it is limited to 4 GB of memory. When you have more than 4 GB of memory, the wine bug that is causing the crashes doesn't put a stop to all the textures it tries to load into memory. So when you go one bit past the 4 GB mark, wine crashes because it cannot handle all the memory. To fix this bug I simply removed 2 GB from my 6 GB configuration.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

If this is a RC, wow, it's working, period

As the Mints I have used before, it was running out of the box, and is working happily.
No problems with flash as I have them encountered with ubuntu 8.10 x64.
How comes it, that Clem and the others can do a job that the paid developers at Ubuntu can not do? :lol:
Thanks you all

H.

PS.: Two wishes, but no critic. I wish to have OpenOffice 3 and OpenArena 0.8.1 :roll:
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

hamburn wrote:If this is a RC, wow, it's working, period

As the Mints I have used before, it was running out of the box, and is working happily.
How comes it, that Clem and the others can do a job that the paid developers at Ubuntu can not do? :lol:
Thanks you all

H.

PS.: Two wishes, but no critic. I wish to have OpenOffice 3 and OpenArena 0.8.1 :roll:
Add

Code: Select all

http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main 
to your repository then update. Then "boom" OpenOffice 3.x ;)
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

hamburn wrote:If this is a RC, wow, it's working, period

Thanks you all

H.

Open arena can be downloaded here:

removed/app/OpenArena
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

thank you marcus and hotweiss. I will give it a try :D

H.
neo21

Post by neo21 »

do you already know when the "final" will be available?

will it be possible to easily "update to final" from the current rc?

via mintupdate?

thx.
Bonster

Post by Bonster »

The Grubloader is ok but the Splash Screen never fills my Screen. Is Letterbox, kind of annoying to see it everytime like that. Wondering if this is a bug or you guys havent made Widescreen Splash screen yet?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”