Multimedia Keys Not Working Correctly After Upgrade

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curt_grymala

Multimedia Keys Not Working Correctly After Upgrade

Post by curt_grymala »

Greetings!
This past weekend, I used the upgrade utility to upgrade from Mint 5 Elyssa to Mint 6 Felicia. For the most part, everything went smoothly. After solving a problem with my nvidia drivers (it seems some remnants of my Elyssa nvidia config were conflicting with my Felicia configuration), I have one more item I need to try to fix in Mint 6.

I'm not sure if this is a result of using the upgrade utility, if this is an inherent problem in Mint 6, or if this is a result of me running:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
However, my multimedia keys on my HP KB-0630 are no longer working the way they should. They worked perfectly in Mint 5.

Here is my desired configuration:
Both eject buttons (I have two eject buttons) - Eject my CD/DVD drive
Record button - Open "Sound Recorder" if it is not open, start recording if my sound recorder is already open
Previous track button - Go back one track or chapter in the active multimedia application
Play/Pause - Open Amarok if it's not already open and I'm not actively using a different multimedia application. Otherwise, this should play/pause my active multimedia application
Next track button - Go forward one track or chapter in the active multimedia application
Stop button - stop playback in the active multimedia application
Volume up button - Increase the system volume
Volume down button - Decrease the system volume
Mute button - Mute the system volume

For the most part, I am pretty certain that's what each of those buttons did in Mint 5. Unfortunately, most of those buttons are not doing what they are supposed to in Mint 6.

At this point, none of my normal multimedia keys do anything, even though I've assigned them in Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts. My Volume up and volume down buttons bring up the "volume" dialog in the middle of the screen, but don't seem to do anything. The mute button shows the sound being muted in the volume dialog that pops up in the middle of the screen, but it doesn't actually mute my sound.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Multimedia Keys Not Working Correctly After Upgrade

Post by Husse »

Check keyboard layout in "Keyboard"
Seems it can make quite a difference - there is a list of different keyboards to select from
garda

Re: Multimedia Keys Not Working Correctly After Upgrade

Post by garda »

You may want to try KeyTouch, it's brand-agnostic and can be found in Synaptic.
KeyTouch manual can be found here:
KeyTouch SourceForge Page

Return to “Hardware Support”