Installation hangs at step 4: no partition to choose...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
distoaddict

Re: Installation hangs at step 4: no partition to choose...

Post by distoaddict »

can you see your partition(s) in GParted.i have had problems in some older versions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Same problem here.

GParted displays all of my partitions.

Currently I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and the installation worked fine.

Here is what lspci gives me:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LF Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5300 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection
recountry2

Post by recountry2 »

I also just tried installing Mint and got same problem. I was going to set it up on a triple boot (currently running vista 64 and windows 7 beta) I'm wondering if maybe its a sata or a conflict with it seeing a vista partition's during installation? It ran good on the Live CD. Thanks
Starhero

Post by Starhero »

Same here, trying to install mint because I heard it is a "better ubuntu" and I can't see any partitions.

Being the noob I am (not so much...but in certain sit.s I can be) I have had this before in other distros and thought I could get around it....but forgot what I did, so i thought it was something to do with the other linux i had installed so I DELETED THE OTHER LOGICAL PARTION THAT CONTAINED EVERYTHING FROM THE OTHER LINUX!!! Figuring this would fix my issue I rebooted and was confronted with a: grub >

Panicing (since I do have winows on the main part.) I was trying everything to learn grub with NO GUIDE...resorted to trying to FIXMBR with windows's recoveryconsole (which was a joke cuz you can't get in unless you have the pass for admin BUT I DON'T FREAKING HAVE A PASS FOR THAT ACCOUNT! I DIDN'T SET ONE!

Utimately, installing LM was suppose to be maybe a 30 min thing that turned into 2 hours of me finally grabbing another laptop I have and going to google (oh the power of the GOOG! Got info on grub and entered the boot menu of that.

Since I was using UNETBOOTIN to do all this, I just booted into LM to see if I was right on fixing it.....and I wasn't.

I can't burn the CD if it is any way related to using unetbootin...I don't have a cd for it....so SOMEONE tell me how to freaking do this!
Starhero

Post by Starhero »

Fix Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid bug/288675 "no partitions listed in partition table"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6081365

That is an easy way to solve the problem:

1. plesae use the Alternative iso;

2. when partition, run shell, you can see /hd-media,
only need run as following:
# umount -l /REPLACE ME WITH YOUR MOUNT HDD eg /dev/hda1, /dev/sda1
# exit

3. now you can see partition tab, good luck!!!

This worked for me, I was installing through unetbootin

there is a bug in mints kernal ( this version of ub.) that doesn't show the parts if the drive you want to install to is mounted.

Since I only have one drive, this ment nothing showed up, and since i am mounted off the CD ISO on my main part on the first drive, i usually can't fix unmount it ...but lazy unmount did it for me.

Still need to successfully install for this to beconsidered a work around (def not a fix...too dangous for that!)

Return to “Installation & Boot”