Hibernate and suspend on laptop, PLEASE help!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hotweiss

Re: Hibernate and suspend on laptop, PLEASE help!

Post by hotweiss »

Fzang wrote:When I first installed mint I did not create a swap partition because I found it unnecessary performance-wise. Now I discovered that swap partitions are necessary for hibernate as well.. didn't think of that one... so now I have created a 5 GB swap file which appears to work just fine, system monitor reports "0 bytes of 4,9 GiB"

So now I should be able to at least hibernate, right? Then why can't I? If I hibernate it'll blank screen, it won't turn completely off or back on again and I have to do a hard reset. I haven't tried suspend but I strongly assume that it acts likewise.

I have 4 GB of RAM and my swap file is, as said, 5 GB. Oh, and If I could suspend that'd be godly...

Is there any way of enabling these things? I would kill to have a fully working linux laptop...
Can you provide the exact make and model of your notebook?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

To enable hibernate after you mess around with your swap partition, you have to make a few steps to get your uuid's matching:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/295629

See if this solution will get your suspend to ram working:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_U ... nkpad_T400
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Code: Select all

sudo sh update-initramfs –u
Try this instead...
garda

Post by garda »

There's a write-up in the Tutorials / How-Tos section of this forum that covers fixing hibernation issue with nVidia restricted drivers installed. It's stickied, thus it should be very easy to find.

Return to “Hardware Support”