Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by clem »

This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by kanishka »

HA! FIRST! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ok I downloaded and installed it yesterday and I'm using it as my main production distro. Obviously, knowing Clem's quality control, everything is working like a charm.
It does seem a bit slower in loading the Gnome desktop (with Compiz enabled), comparing to Elyssa x64, but it's hardly Felicia's fault.
I like the way the new mintInstall works, but there should be another (and quicker) way of refreshing the sceenshots.

So far, two thumbs up, as always! :D
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hippy »

Thanks Clem

Downloaded and burnt to cd this morning with > No problems

Ran live cd and again no problems, booted to desktop > No problems

Ran the install and went through the 7 sections, chose to manually partition. > No problems encountered

Rebooted and again back to desktop with > No problems

Installed restricted drivers for my ati x1600 pci express card 512mb, rebooted > No problems

Enabled compiz > No problems

Ran mint update and 179 level 3 updates installed and rebooted > No Problems

I have been running now for a couple of hours and all is working well so far, grand job
hippy

"To touch the earth is to have harmony with nature." Oglala Sioux
knuckles

Post by knuckles »

I can not find bug's :D

Only a question:
In the x86 Version i must uninstall the nonfree...flash and replace it with the adobe-flash... package to have a stable working flash. In the x64-Version the adobe-flash.... package do not exist.
I know that is not the problem from Mint but from Ubuntu, but perheps someone has the answers for why??

If I seed the Quality of this Version, i don't know why releasing an RC version. Some other Distro's or app's are more bug's in there Final-Version.

Special Thanks to Clem and his Team!!!!!
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Just tried it and the Flash bug still exists. I still get a blank area where the Flash video is supposed to be. liveleak.com can be used as an example, you have to tab a few videos and play around with them to get this error.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ kanishka
There will be a change in how mintInstall refreshes it's contents, especially the first time - it only takes maybe half a minute for me, but for people with lower bandwidth....
mercier

Post by mercier »

installed over elyssa. no problem
installed all the updates no problem
installed nvidia restricted driver 177 no problem

on next reboot unable to start gnome display manager, startx did not help

reinstalled :(

did not install nvidia drivers - so far all is good.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Husse wrote:@ kanishka
There will be a change in how mintInstall refreshes it's contents, especially the first time - it only takes maybe half a minute for me, but for people with lower bandwidth....
Hmm, he, he, he - Husse how do you dare to compare internet connection in Sweden with Brazil?
I have a fast broadband internet connection and mintInstall took 20m for me to get it refreshed.

I am kiddin' because my internet speed connection is only adsl 2mg - more than this is too
much expensive in Brazil.
We have cable connection here too - 4mg

How much yours? Let me hear and i will be ashamed, he, he, he,,,,laughing... :lol:

regards
Roberto :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Roberto
I have ADSL with exactly 8000 kbit/s (nominal speed) which is what I pay for
I get about 830 kbyte/s from lots of servers including Mint and Ubuntu. I pay about 40 Euro per month for that and my phone all in all
I'm very pleased to have it this good
But for all those with lower bandwidth, and that is probably most Mint users, we find it essential to fix the update speed in mintInstall. (Oh - Clem has a good speed, but less than I have :))

Edit by Husse
Had to completely refresh mintInstall today, half a minute was a bit exaggerated but one and a half was about right :)
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

Hi,

I noticed a minor problem with Mint Menu. After a day or 2, the menu background was gray instead of white. I checked the Mint menu preferences. 'Use Custom Colors' wasn't checked, but it was using the background colour indicated there. I checked and then unchecked 'Use Custom Colors'. That seemed to fix it to going back to the theme colours until the next reboot. My workaround is to use Custom Colors, but set the background to white. I have changed the Main button text to be 'Linux Mint'. Don't know if that is related somehow.

Paul
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

Hi,

I enabled the backports repos and updated. All seems OK now. I did notice just that the sound theme was 'Ubuntu'. I checked my sound prefs and it indicated 'Linux Mint'. I changed to Ubuntu logged out and back in. Then changed to 'Linux Mint' sound theme...logged out and then back in and I get the Mint login sound.

Paul
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Not so much a new problem, more like the same old widespread driver problem. That is Nvidia SLI is still a "by hand" set up proposition. I know its not a major thing but I still need to whine. Beyond that no problems. Thanks
max :)

Post by max :) »

I've downloaded the ISO, transferred to USB using Unetbootin, started the PC from USB stick, and it worked fast and good. So far, I didn't notice any errors. And I love the little Giver utility, it rocks! :D
Husse wrote:@ Roberto
I have ADSL with exactly 8000 kbit/s (nominal speed) which is what I pay for
I get about 830 kbyte/s from lots of servers including Mint and Ubuntu. I pay about 40 Euro per month for that and my phone all in all
I'm very pleased to have it this good
But for all those with lower bandwidth, and that is probably most Mint users, we find it essential to fix the update speed in mintInstall. (Oh - Clem has a good speed, but less than I have :))

Edit by Husse
Had to completely refresh mintInstall today, half a minute was a bit exaggerated but one and a half was about right :)
Here in Macedonia, I pay 25 euros/month for a 8 Mbit cable internet connection, download is about 945 KB/s, upload 170 KB/s :wink: ... It's cheaper, fast & stable ;)
Ubuntu servers sometimes are slow, so I use servers from Serbia or Slovenia to facilitate faster downloads (trying out games like Sauerbraten LOL :wink:)...
And with the newest version of mintInstall, refreshing the catalog of apps seems much faster. Thanks fellows :D!
Waiting for Felicia x64 final :)...
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

Single-boot OS on my brand new laptop since yesterday... Cheers! :D
tolga

Post by tolga »

installed no probs
updated all recommended updates - no probs
updated the recommended nvidia drivers no probs
wireless adapter - netgear WG111v3 found and ran smooth

rebooted after all updates - login to desktop hangs for about 10 secs. dosnt seem as zippy b4 all the updates.

used for 1 week, wireless adapter kept on disconnecting and finally couldnt detect router or network - googled - went through many linux forums to re-establish adapter and network manager fro about 2 hours - failed - login to desktop now took longer!

REINSTALLED - perfect, zippy card and all detected. updated all recommended updates and now seem sluggish again

dont know if its the nvidia drivers or what - is there like a event manager that showws whats hanging and taking time to init desktop????

overall - fun OS
:?:
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

Not a bug, just a consideration: on this brand new laptop (c2d P7350 cpu, 4 gb ram) Felicia x64 boots in 41", on my old laptop (Amd 1,8ghz, 1 gb ram) Ubuntu Intrepid 32bit boots in 32". Is this difference due to the system's architecture?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I would not pay to much attention to small differences in boot time - this can be lots of different things - hardware, Linux, program you set to start when you boot or log in etc....
If you get twice the amount of time, then we're onto something....
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

That's ok; the strange thing anyway is that the new laptop should be much faster than the old one.
I'll test it with the x86 version and see the differences.

I use Bootchart to get the boot time, which records the time between the bootload and the startup of x server; programs in the Gnome session startup are not considered in timings I obtain.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Hey Folks
I ran an update and logged out to switch OSs. When I logged back in there was a notification icon on the tray which opened this message "Method "UpdateSystem" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Transaction" doesn't exist". Beyond that the release has been rock solid.
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

diego1188 wrote: I'll test it with the x86 version and see the differences.
Installed x86 but won't boot; seems to get stuck because of internal sd-card reader... :( x64 doesn't have such problem.
Still have to try in recovery mode...

Return to “Releases & Announcements”