SATA DVD Drive Errors on Felicia x86 & x86_64

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: SATA DVD Drive Errors on Felicia x86 & x86_64

Post by Husse »

Can be a faulty SATA controller....
This doe not make sense to me, rather I don't quite understand, please rephrase
I've tried another SATA dvd drive and same thing, they both work fine, and seem to boot up fine on 9.04alpha Ubuntu and Mandriva 2009. I do not believe that the newer kernel breaks this as other distros seem to work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

What I find for this error is a bug in libata (the module that handles all sorts of drives) or a hard drive jumper problem and as far back as december 2007 but no solution (apart from checking your jumpers - which of course only refers to IDE)
Do I understand you right when you say that Ubuntu 9.04 alfa can boot?
What about Intrepid?
In this respect there should be no difference between Mint and Ubuntu
Husse

Post by Husse »

I see I have forgotten something important
This could be a faulty CD
Did you check the md5sum and burned as slow as possible?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hmm - this is perhaps one more of the mysteries of computers - it beats me and I know a bit about hardware too....
Husse

Post by Husse »

The computer I use now has a SATA DVD rw and nforce4 chip, a KN8 SLI by ABIT - no problem what so ever
The DVD is a SONY NEC Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S 1.05 Jan22,2008
I think this is a case of hardware that does not quite like each other and so with some bad luck it does not work out - not the first time this happens and not the last
This does not mean that it is garbage, not at all - just does not work together
Husse

Post by Husse »

Then you know more than me - I sold computer hardware in my own business for 8 years....
I think you have proven that it is the kernel (or the modules) :) There were issues with the .25 kernel I think and I've also seen a few reports about the .27 kernel while the .28 (which will appear in Jaunty 9.04) seems to be an improvement
This is taken from memory - I may be wrong, would not be the first time :)

Return to “Hardware Support”