I'm in trouble... Please, help me :(

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nez

I'm in trouble... Please, help me :(

Post by Nez »

Hi!
I have a big problem. On my laptop (ASUS F5RL) previously was Windows Vista, and two logical discs (C: with system and D: with data)... So, after installation Linux Mint 6, I have no ideas how to open my disk D: ....

There were all my information!! When I made the partitions, I left D: (sda5) without changes and format only C: .... The error is "Unable to mount the volume 'DATA'" ... Please, help me! I'm really in big trouble without that information! :'-( ..... The file system was NTFS..

And one more problem - how to connect to wireless net ... The led on my laptop, which indicate the WLAN activity is off (But Bluetooth LED is always on, but I have no Bluetooth on my PC :) )... So, when I'm going to "Network connections" -> Wireless ... there is no connection :( ...

Help me... please :( ..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Re: I'm in trouble... Please, help me :(

Post by distoaddict »

try opening package manager (Synaptic) to see if ntfs-3g is installed.it should be but perhaps you could mark it to be reinstalled ?
also reboot with the live cd to check if you can access the hd from that. you can then get to/back up your stuff.
i have no idea about wireless though.
Nez

Post by Nez »

No... the problem still is...
From lifeCD the same problem, but look.... First time, when I try this CD (before installation) everything was perfect.... But, when I start the installation - after the partition was made there become some error (I can't remember exactly, but something about that hda5 (DATA) busy... or something.. and two buttons - Ignore and Cancel) and I click Cancel, and because of some problems, my PC was hutted down..... not because of installation.... Then I start my computer again and.... A couldn't open that disk :(( ... And all that I did - install the Mint...

So, I think that there is something wrong with disk... So I need something to recovery my information!! Could you help me?..

I hope that information is not formatted, because the last installation, when I made the partitions.. The wizard (or how you call it? :) ) show me the correct volume of 'DATA' and used volume (but on that time it was already "locked") ....

Wireless is not the problem number one for me :)
Nez

Post by Nez »

Oh... My God! :) I solve this problem!!!! YEAH!!! 'URA!' (on Russian ;) )...

So... The problem was that my drive (disk) was marked as 'in use' ... So, I open Disk Manager -> Advanced configuration -> there was my 'DATA' unmounted ... I click to mount it... And, as usual, there was an error ... but there was CheckBox - "try with 'force' option"or something like this :) ... I check it! And ... SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!! :)

Everything is perfect! I'm so happy! :)))) .....

So.... only the problem with Wi-Fi left... really no ideas?.. As I understand, in Network Connections there must be My Wi-Fi connection.... And I see only wired LAN... :(
hoe

Post by hoe »

If this is your first go at linux you probably should have done a dual boot instead of getting rid of windose altogether. You are going to have to start at the beginning and tell us everything that you did from downloading the ISO until now.

- burn speed
-installation choices
-did you choose to manually prepare paritions?
-etc ...

Wayne
hoe

Post by hoe »

To start with go to Menu>Administration>Windows Wireless Drivers

Wayne
hoe

Post by hoe »

Looks like the driver can be got here ... it will end with .inf and it looks like net5211.inf

ftp://ftp.atcomp.cz/notebooky/asus/F3U_WinXP/WiFi-New/
Nez

Post by Nez »

hoe, thanks for your answer :)

So, I download your driver... Put the *.ini file into the "Windows Wireless Drivers" ... Everything is look ok ... "Hardware present: Yes" ... But, when I click on "Configure Network"... I see this error: "Could not find a network configuration tool" ...

So, after restarting, in Network Connections (when I make right click on connection icon) - the CheckBox "Enable Wireless" became enabled... (before it wasn't) ...

So, but still no results :( ... So, maybe I can't understand where to configure and to connect to my wireless Net?... Could you explain in a few words?...
hoe

Post by hoe »

In Network Connections under Wireless Add a new wireless connection. For me l had to put in a WEP key and the name of my connection which my service provider gave me. If you have your own wireless router then maybe a user name and password ?

Wayne

Return to “Installation & Boot”