GRUB doesn't recognize new Kernel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shaka_zulu

GRUB doesn't recognize new Kernel

Post by shaka_zulu »

Hi there

At first Mint didn't want to update to new Kernel and then i have tried in synaptic to do it on my own and i have completely remove Kernel version 2.6.27-7 which is default when you install new version of Felicia. Then i have found new Kernel i think 2.6.27-14 and i have manually installed this one also in synaptic. I thought that this will going to be enough but on reboot i have seen that actually grub shows only old version of Kernel. When i have tried to edit menu.lst i have also found that there is only old version of Kernel. After a while in synaptic i have found old kernel version installed even i have completely removed it previously.

Three days ago finally update has come and i have found in the list new kernel will be installed. After update no changes have happened. :) Old kernel is the only in the grub :)

Still GRUB shows old kernel version and i do not know what to do exactly about this.

Any help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shaka_zulu

Re: GRUB doesn't recognize new Kernel

Post by shaka_zulu »

any answer please!?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: GRUB doesn't recognize new Kernel

Post by newW2 »

So what does

Code: Select all

uname -a
output for the kernel?
Once you have that information you'll need to edit menu.lst. If you are using gnome:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit/boot/grub/menu.lst
and replace the kernel version listed in menu.lst with the version listed from the uname -a output.
Hope that gets you going post back and let us know.

Btw are you doing this because of the following post? And are you following Husse's how-to?

Return to “Installation & Boot”