Mint 6 Xfce RC1 errors

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Steely

Mint 6 Xfce RC1 errors

Post by Steely »

Hi,

Jumped the gun before the official announcement and installed the mint 6 xfce rc1. Almost everything works except for the emerald theme manager freezing and errors with totem and xchat. I will repost the info when the bug thread for the release is official.

When trying to open an url from xchat I receive an Unable to show ...http://linuxmint.com/forum Operation Not Supported error.

Totem when trying to view a youtube video using the youtube plugin I receive a Location not found error.

This is a wired connection to router to cable modem. No proxy is used and no changes were made to the proxy settings in xfce. The same result occurs whether using wicd or network manager 0.7. Firefox and all other apps seem to work fine.

Dale
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hopetoregistersoon

Re: Mint 6 Xfce RC1 errors

Post by hopetoregistersoon »

got the freeze on emerald theme manager too. Freezes for like 30 seconds when i click on anything but once set it's fine
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

hopetoregistersoon wrote:got the freeze on emerald theme manager too. Freezes for like 30 seconds when i click on anything but once set it's fine
I get this in the Main edition too so I think it's from Ubuntu.
Steely

Post by Steely »

Not too concerned about the emerald issue as it's on all ubuntu 8.10's and mint 6 gnome as well.

Any ideas as to the problem when using the youtube plugin with totem to view youtube videos and not able to open links ( urls ) from within xchat ? One other thing with totem is that when I right click on the search results for youtube and select open with browser it loads the correct page without any issues.

Thanks

Dale
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

Just tried the new RC1 as a live cd and I don't know if this is normal or a bug but on my PC I was unable to see any other file systems in the file manager except the cd until I ran "Parted" and then they all appeared. Also when I checked etc/fstab before running "Parted" it also only showed the file system on the cd. Is this normal?. I'm not familiar with the XFCE edition as I use the KDE edition but even in this edition I would have expected the other file systems to have been available without having to run the partition editor.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

roadrash wrote:Just tried the new RC1 as a live cd and I don't know if this is normal or a bug but on my PC I was unable to see any other file systems in the file manager except the cd until I ran "Parted" and then they all appeared. Also when I checked etc/fstab before running "Parted" it also only showed the file system on the cd. Is this normal?. I'm not familiar with the XFCE edition as I use the KDE edition but even in this edition I would have expected the other file systems to have been available without having to run the partition editor.
This has been a problem since gutsy.
I don't know what went wrong, but even Zenwalk had this problem the last time I tested it.
I think it has to be the xfce developers that caused this problem.
Maybe 4.6 will finally fix this. :?
MintDisk will automount the ntfs and fat hard drives after install.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Well I'm sad to report that my sound card behave just as strange in this version that everything based on Intrepid does... :cry: :cry: :cry:
I wonder if there is a way to have the sound card drivers from Mint 5 in Mint 6? :?: :?: :?:
The problem in Mint 6 is this:
* When I plug in the headphones the internal speakers don't get muted
* I can set the microphone input as headphone out (a radio button), this mutes the internal speakers
* The problem with the above solution is that the sound get thin and distorted

I have an Intel HDA in a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook T4215.
Output from lspci under Mint 5:

Code: Select all

zwopper@zwopper-lifebook-t4215 ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT
 Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GM
L Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML E
xpress Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Aud
io Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (r
ev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (r
ev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (r
ev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controll
er #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controll
er #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controll
er #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controll
er #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Control
ler (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (re
v 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (re
v 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI 
Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit
 Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Conne
ction (rev 02)
08:03.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711MP1/MS1 MemoryCardBus Controller (re
v 20)
08:03.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711MP1/MS1 MemoryCardBus Controller (re
v 20)
08:03.2 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD Controller
08:03.3 Bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MS/xD Controller
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Zwopper wrote:Well I'm sad to report that my sound card behave just as strange in this version that everything based on Intrepid does... :cry: :cry: :cry:
I wonder if there is a way to have the sound card drivers from Mint 5 in Mint 6? :?: :?: :?:
The problem in Mint 6 is this:
* When I plug in the headphones the internal speakers don't get muted
* I can set the microphone input as headphone out (a radio button), this mutes the internal speakers
* The problem with the above solution is that the sound get thin and distorted

I have an Intel HDA in a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook T4215.
Output from lspci under Mint 5:
Have you tried editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
By adding this line to the end of the file. Then reboot.

options snd-hda-intel model=fujitsu
Some others to try are

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1 model=fujitsu

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=8 model=fujitsu
more info:
options snd-hda-intel model=3stack works for many motherboard integrated chips with shared surrounds. Other models include 5stack, 6stack, laptop and laptop-eapd. Sometimes it is also possible to use the more generic "options snd-hda-intel model=ref", which the hda driver uses to load manufacturer specfic presets (SigmaTel, Realtek, etc.).
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Thanks for all the suggestions Merlwiz!
I will give those a try, and report back to you!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
zimbo

Post by zimbo »

I have a Acer Aspire 5052AWXMi laptop with the dreaded Atheros AR2425 wireless chipset. I had Elyssa installed on the laptop and had the wireless working successfully. At the weekend I downloaded Mint 6 XFCE CE RC1 to try it out. When using the live CD the wireless doesn't work and I have been unable to get it working after installing Mint 6.

I have followed these three guides all without success, although they have worked for others.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/atheros-5007e ... tform.html (This is the one I used successfully with Mint 5)

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=18566 (Followed the instructions in Post 1)

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 68#p112868 (Instructions in Post 3)

Has anyone managed to get this wireless chipset working under Mint 6 XFCE?

I have still to try the ndiswrapper route mentioned in the last link but I would prefer to use a madwifi solution.

Thanks for any help.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Zimbo, yes, I am using the AR5007EG (which I believe has the same problems as your chipset) in Mint 6 Gnome. But I had many problems trying to get it to work. I tried to install the Ubuntu backport module as instructed and this did not work. I then tried blacklisting ath_pci. After this was a no go I removed the backports module and tried to install the madwifi driver like I have always done. This did not work either, even trying to blacklist ath-pci or ath5k and disabling the Mint driver did not work. Damn Ubuntu for screwing this up! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Every other distro running the 2.6.27+ kernel will now automatically pick up this chipset! I gave up and went back to Mint 5. Then I decided to try again and installed Mint 6 and installed the madwifi driver as usual and it worked! I do not know what is going on here, but it can work.

I suggest using this guide:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertai ... eless.html

It is written for Fedora but Scott also takes Ubuntu into consideration in it and the guide is pretty generic to any distro. I suggest removing and un-blacklisting anything you have done thus far and just going by Scott's guide. You simply DL the latest snapshot and build it with make, make install.

Short of that, you may want to try the debian Mint version. I believe this is unofficial to mint but I hear good things about the spin and debian did not do the kernel foolishness Ubuntu did. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I hate Ubuntu! It is unfortunate that I love Mint so much, it is what Ubuntu SHOULD be. It would not hurt my feelings if they based Mint off of debian, but that is another story...

Hang in there, madwifi does work but you need to get past all the voodoo. Hey Ubuntu! It shouldnt be like this! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Did you ever try installing linux-backports-modules-intrepid?
That's normally the 1st thing to try.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

FedoraRefugee wrote:Zimbo, yes, I am using the AR5007EG (which I believe has the same problems as your chipset) in Mint 6 Gnome. But I had many problems trying to get it to work. I tried to install the Ubuntu backport module as instructed and this did not work. I then tried blacklisting ath_pci. After this was a no go I removed the backports module and tried to install the madwifi driver like I have always done. This did not work either, even trying to blacklist ath-pci or ath5k and disabling the Mint driver did not work...
I am not a novice either. The fellow I linked to in my post is one of our resident Fedora wireless gurus, about one of the slickest wireless guys around, and he also had no success with the backports module in Ubuntu.

I have tried all the various how-to's myself. I did successfully install the patched madwifi driver and am using this in Gnome Mint 6. I am an Xfce guy and have the ISO to Xfce RC1 downloaded but havent installed yet. If you can give me a simple how-to or guide me to one that you know works I would be grateful and willing to try. Otherwise I will try my luck with the madwifi driver as usual.
zimbo

Post by zimbo »

FedoraRefugee and merlwiz79 thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. This is how I managed to get the Atheros AR2425 wireless chipset working on my laptop.

I started off with a clean install of Mint 6 XFCE
I installed linux-backports-modules-intrepid
I then followed the instructions in the link you supplied FR
http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertai ... .html#5007
but with some slight changes
I removed the ath_pci module: sudo modprobe -r ath_pci
I blacklisted ath_pci in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
I rebooted the laptop
I installed the ath9k module: sudo modprobe ath9k
I started the interface: sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
I then started Wicd Manager, went into the Preferences and added wlan0 as the wireless interface
Clicking on the Refresh button then brought all my neighbours networks into view. I will test the laptop with my own wireless connection and see what the performance is like.

When I had been trying the other methods mentioned in my earlier post I hadn't been making the change in the Preferences in Wicd Manager so those solutions might have actually worked. I am not going back to try them again to find out!!

Hope this helps someone else and thanks again.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Many thanks Zimbo, it is good to know that it will work. I may have done something wrong in my tinkering also. I will try your instructions following to the letter and hope for the best. I do feel better about installing my ISO now, I have been putting it off as I have been busy but I dreaded spending a day on the wireless again...
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I am typing this from Mint 6 Xfce CE via wireless! Zimbo's instructions work flawlessly. I took the liberty of condensing them into just the necessary commands. It is important to execute these from a clean install! If you have ndiswrapper or any other cruft installed it will mess things up!

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid   (this will also install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic)
sudo modprobe -r ath_pci
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (add the line: blacklist ath_pci    at the end of the file then save and exit)
reboot
sudo modprobe ath9k
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
(paraphrased from Zimbo)
start Wicd Manager, go to Preferences and add wlan0 as the wireless interface
Clicking on the Refresh button then brings up the wireless network(s)

Once again, thanks for these clear instructions.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

dmk62 wrote:Hi,

Jumped the gun before the official announcement and installed the mint 6 xfce rc1. Almost everything works except for the emerald theme manager freezing and errors with totem and xchat. I will repost the info when the bug thread for the release is official.

When trying to open an url from xchat I receive an Unable to show ...http://linuxmint.com/forum Operation Not Supported error.

Totem when trying to view a youtube video using the youtube plugin I receive a Location not found error.

This is a wired connection to router to cable modem. No proxy is used and no changes were made to the proxy settings in xfce. The same result occurs whether using wicd or network manager 0.7. Firefox and all other apps seem to work fine.

Dale
Installing gvfs fixes these problems.
zimbo

Post by zimbo »

FRefugee, I am glad that the instructions I posted worked for you.

One thing I find a bit strange is when I was setting up my wireless I tried using "modprobe ath5k" but got an error saying something like the module was missing. I then tried "modprobe ath9k" and it executed fine, as it must have for you as well.

But now when I do"lsmod" it is the ath5k module that is listed as being loaded and not the ath9k one. Not sure why that is and I'm not really bother just as long as the wireless works.
paschalis.m

Post by paschalis.m »

I couldn't increase/decrease volume so I had to install aumix (sudo apt-get install aumix).
Everything is ok now.
DevAdv

Post by DevAdv »

i did a fresh install of mint xfce rc1 and it runs great, but when i enable compiz, my desktop icon text disappears.

also compiz doesn't remain as the manager after reboot.

dont really know if those are bugs but those are the only two problems i had with it so far.

Return to “Xfce”