Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by GoustiFruit »

Flash doesn't work in Opera, I'm getting a blank rectangle where the video should be; but the sound plays correctly.
It can be corrected by uninstalling from Synaptic and then manually downloading and installing the tar.gz from Adobe lab website
mercier

Post by mercier »

felicia x64 gnome

installed kde with synaptic

when i login to kde session i have no network :( nor icons in the task bar.

when i open network manager from menu, all the buttons are greyed out, and no connections are recognised. i have wireless card that is automatically recognised in gnome, with all surrounding networks.

is this a bug or...?

UPDATE:

went back to gnome and installed knetworkmanager from synaptic - that gave me the icon in the taskbar upon booting to KDE , and from there i had no problems configuring wireless network, as in gnome.
max :)

Post by max :) »

I've replaced Mint 5 x64 with Mint 6 x64 RC1. Gave it a go for 3 days.
Really great release, but seeing the silly and frustating mistakes the Ubuntu devs made, I'll stick with Mint 5 x64.
I researched about these problems, and none of these are Mint dev team's fault. It's all on Intrepid and Ubuntu.
The problems I encountered:

1. The new Synaptic mode to install "recommended packages" sucks. I don't want that much libs installed.
2. The biggest frustration -> the Bluetooth DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. :evil: SUCKS BIG. Can't pair, can't do anything. The bt dongle is by Cambridge Semiconductors, listed when I do "lsusb"...worked fine in Hardy and Mint 5, even without receiving files. Ubuntu's implementation of BlueZ drivers is the worst I've seen. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964139
3. Errors appear when I double-click non-mounted drives. After I say OK, and double-click the drive again, it works without problems. Annoying.
4. Using Jockey (a.k.a. Restricted hardware drivers) to install Nvidia driver for my 8500GT didn't work - stuck at "Downloading 0%"! Done it manually with Synaptic.
5. Installing hp laserjet 1020? God help you. I had to install QT4 libs and stupid hp tool (which hogs the system, like in Windows - icons on tray on startup; used the hp's tool once, no need for it but w/o the stupid thing, the printer doesn't work at all!), because manual recompiling of drivers didn't work (foo2zjs sucked for hp 1020, had to hack it by myself - typical for a large company that doesn't want to support the cheap products of the line, maybe they crippled the driver on purpose)!
5. Couldn't remove Mplayer and all the corresponding unused libs from the system - could do that in Mint 5 and Hardy - they appeared in "auto removable" section in Synaptic. I use VLC.

Guys and gals, I respect your work, I know it's not your fault. But I'm going back on Mint 5 x64. :(
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

max wrote:3. Errors appear when I double-click non-mounted drives. After I say OK, and double-click the drive again, it works without problems. Annoying.
Yeah, it's quite annoying. And I still don't understand why I can't have all my drives mounted at the startup by default, like in Feisty.
4. Using Jockey (a.k.a. Restricted hardware drivers) to install Nvidia driver for my 8500GT didn't work - stuck at "Downloading 0%"! Done it manually with Synaptic.
This one happened to me too a couple of times. I just canceled and started again, and it worked. :?
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

max wrote:I've replaced Mint 5 x64 with Mint 6 x64 RC1. Gave it a go for 3 days.
2. The biggest frustration -> the Bluetooth DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. :evil: SUCKS BIG. Can't pair, can't do anything. The bt dongle is by Cambridge Semiconductors, listed when I do "lsusb"...worked fine in Hardy and Mint 5, even without receiving files. Ubuntu's implementation of BlueZ drivers is the worst I've seen. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964139
Mine works flawlessly... :roll:
Bonster

Post by Bonster »

Some annoyance so far.

1. The Mint Slash Screen is letterbox. Donno why it doesnt fill my 22inch Widescreen at start up. Grubloader Screen is fine tho.
2. Plz use the Flash 64 Bit, Ive used for a few months now, not really any major problems. http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
3. Not sure if this is done on purpose or not. But the compiz scale feature. I cant use Middle click to close off apps when scale is activated.
4. Weird problem or maybe just me. I can launch everything fine using the `Control Center` but when i use the Mint Menu to launch apps. Like the ones in the `Admin` or `Perf` sometime it start sometimes it doesnt. And when it doesnt i Get a screen dim blink and thats it.

Other than that everything else is pimp. I donno how u guys tweak this stuff better than the ubuntu guys. But damn Keep doing it loL
TC

Post by TC »

I posted this in another section earlier because I didn't see this one - Sorry!

I had problems mounting extra internal drives. I would get an error.

Real Player (rm rmvb) audio and video is out of sync. The other types of video I tested (avi, wmv) seemed to work smoothly.

Like I said in my previous post: "Once the bugs are worked out, Mint-64 will be the Distro others will strive to become." Good job!

Thank You!
max :)

Post by max :) »

Bonster wrote:2. Plz use the Flash 64 Bit, Ive used for a few months now, not really any major problems. http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
I agree, 64 bit Flash works ok and it would be ok to be avaiable in Mint 6 x64 final.
Bonster wrote:3. Not sure if this is done on purpose or not. But the compiz scale feature. I cant use Middle click to close off apps when scale is activated.
Go to Mint Menu>Preferences>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings, find "Scale Addons" and make sure the checkbox next to it is checked. Then you can middle-click to close and right-click to zoom windows when you use the Scale feature. :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

I agree, 64 bit Flash works ok and it would be ok to be avaiable in Mint 6 x64 final.
Look in the blog :)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”