Getting the latest Nvidia driver installed

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Go2doug

Getting the latest Nvidia driver installed

Post by Go2doug »

I installed the Nvidia driver with Envy. Currently the driver version 173.14.12, and the driver available in my package manager (nvidia-glx-new-envy) is also at 173.14.12.

The Nvidia website says that the latest driver version is 180.22.

How can I install this driver? Should I use Envy somehow? If I try to install it outside the package manager, will it mess things up? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hotweiss

Re: Getting the latest Nvidia driver installed

Post by hotweiss »

I'm using the 180.22 driver now and it is not too stable. Stick with 173.14.12 if you have no problems...
alainr

Post by alainr »

If you currently have the 173.xx.xx driver installed, then your gpu is probably not supported by the 180.xx series.
See this list: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.16/README/appendix-a.html
For a list of most recent driver versions, see this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

greetings
Alain R.
garda

Post by garda »

I second Hotweiss' suggestion. Don't upgrade if you are not experiencing untreatable technical difficulties with the one currently in use.
Go2doug

Post by Go2doug »

alainr wrote:If you currently have the 173.xx.xx driver installed, then your gpu is probably not supported by the 180.xx series.
See this list: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.16/README/appendix-a.html
For a list of most recent driver versions, see this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

greetings
Alain R.
On that Nvidia page my graphic card shows up in the first section as "GeForce 8600 GTS 0x0400"; what do you make of that? I'm pretty sure that my graphics card would support the 180.xx driver since it's less than two years old and was almost the best from Nvidia when it was released.

I will follow Hotweis' advice and stick with the 173.x driver since it seems to run Sauerbraten, Tremulous, Alien Arena, and Open Arena pretty smoothly (although I have not tinkered very much with the games' video settings).

Still, if I wanted to install the 180.22 driver what would be the best way to do it, since it is not showing up in Adept (I am using Mint KDE)? Thanks very much for your replies.
Go2doug

Post by Go2doug »

Go2doug wrote: Still, if I wanted to install the 180.22 driver what would be the best way to do it, since it is not showing up in Adept (I am using Mint KDE)? Thanks very much for your replies.
Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?
jojo1028
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jojo1028 »

hi,

Just follow this how to, should work like a charm. http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13914

(if you re on kde, it might be sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop at some moment instead of sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop ) :)

Return to “Hardware Support”