Warcraft without installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shazzam

Warcraft without installation

Post by Shazzam »

Alright I know that World of Warcraft runs through Wine, and I can get it to run with a fresh install. What I want to do is just copy the folder from windows and paste it into mint. My first question would have to be whether or not it's even possible to get it to work like that. If it is possible what steps do I have to go through, and are there any complications.
My colleges internet connection dl's at a whopping 50 kb/s at peak hours and I don't want to have to download four gigs of WoW patches, and they block torrents because their mean. Thank you for any help =)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Warcraft without installation

Post by proxima_centauri »

It is do-able. I've done it in the past with Mint.
If I remember correctly you can probably even run it from your NTFS drive, I copyed mine over when I was running it.
There are a couple of things you have to do to get it running good, I remember you have to edit a configuration file and change the graphic settings to open GL, I'm not much help, but there are defintely good wiki's out there, just google "Ubuntu world of warcraft".
Be prepared for a good drop in framerate.
proxima_centauri

And also, that is a terrible thing your college does with internet restrictions :o .
xarte

Post by xarte »

I think you can copy the file across, but you need to run all the installation and .exe patch files in correct order, so that it will run. I think. Pretty sure that's how we got it working.
Syrinx

Post by Syrinx »

proxima_centauri wrote: Be prepared for a good drop in framerate.
Is this because it would be running from the Windows drive, or just in general?

I ask, because this is _still_ my problem. My fps are anywhere between 2-5. Which, without that being fixed, the notion of playing WoW on Linux is pointless. I would rather just re-boot into Windows, and play like normal.

It's the same through WINE, and even in CrossOver Games.
proxima_centauri

In my case the low FPS I think it was due to the linux nvidia drivers not up to spec as my XP drivers; and you need to set WoW to use opengl.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/World ... figuration
Syrinx

Post by Syrinx »

I went through those steps last time, but I will go through them again - since this is a brand new Mint install and version upgrade.

If I just copy my WoW folder from the Windows drive - I'd be better off running it in WINE, correct? I'm thinking that CrossOver would need to actually go through the installation, so it can create the bottles, etc.

Thanks for that link, though. I actually forgot about that...

Return to “Software & Applications”