Synaptic question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Synaptic question

Post by varaonaid »

Hello,

I want to understand why something is happening. Hoping that someone can shed some light for me.

I recently decided to try to install Amarok 2. I followed all the instructions on the KDE/Kubuntu website and added the third party repo. Kept refreshing the sources list and yet amarok 2 never showed up. Someone gave me the instructions again which I double checked and they suggesting using apt-get install amarok-kde4 via command line instead of trying Synaptic. Well, it found the package and installed it flawlessly.

My question is, why didn't it show up in Synaptic? What's causing this? I'm curious how many other packages aren't showing up. It obviously was there or the apt-get install wouldn't have worked. Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Synaptic question

Post by Husse »

?
synaptic is nothing but a GUI frontend for apt-get....
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I added

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu intrepid main
to /etc/apt/sources.lst.
Refreshed Synaptic,
amarok-kde4 is present in the list.

Sure you refreshed?
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by varaonaid »

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that Synaptic is a front end for apt, that's my problem. The new content of repositories aren't showing up in Synaptic. Thanks for double checking but I've refreshed about 15 times, literally.

I added content from yet another 3rd party server and, even after refreshing, the content isn't showing up in Synaptic yet apt-get install from the terminal works perfectly. I just don't understand it. I'm kinda down about it because it means that I'm missing unknown numbers of packages when I search or browse.

Any other thoughts?
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by varaonaid »

OK, one more thing I just found...

I don't understand why this is but I realized that I had been using the quick search function and I hadn't seen that in previous versions of Synaptic (probably was there but not on my toolbar). Quick search didn't find any of those additional packages BUT I just tried using the regular search wondering if for some unknown reason it might be different and voila! Those missing packages are there.

As I said, still don't understand the reason for this but glad to know what workaround works for fixing it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is odd, synaptic seems broken
What about reinstalling synaptic (from the command line)
I fear this is close to hopeless to try googling....
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I have some information on this that may or may not be relevant. I have been having problems with the search function on a recently installed XFCE CE version - the quick search bar was greyed out. I decided to do a Synaptic reinstall. When I removed Synaptic it also removed aptoncd, jockey-gtk and language-selector.
I reinstalled synaptic but the search bar was still greyed out. I then reinstalled aptoncd which pulled in a lot more dependencies (mostly from gnome although I didn't make a note of them, there were too many, 30+Mb). When they had finished installing however the search function in synaptic was restored, so obviously something in the aptoncd dependencies is a necessity for the correct functioning of Synaptic. Unfortunately I can't tell you which one it is.

Return to “Software & Applications”