Horrible performance after reboot. possibly cpu related.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jngdwe

Horrible performance after reboot. possibly cpu related.

Post by jngdwe »

I recently abandoned Ubuntu 8.10 due to performance issues that began when i switched from 7.10 to 8.10. I decided to give Mint a try to see if it lacked these performance issues. Everything ran amazingly well on my old Athlon 64 3700+ until i rebooted after installing my x-fi drivers successfully (the drivers did not cause the problems). After said reboot, i began to have the same problems as in ubuntu 8.10 with compiz effects running at horribly low frame rates, i would guess around 25-40 rather than the 60+ that i normally get (i don't know the exact, but i do know that its normally buttery smooth. example: the difference between 60hz and 120hz on a big LCD TV).

I am guessing that this is CPU related, but i am only a self taught pc whiz, im not good with everything :) . Im asking kindly for any assistance with my problems.

my current setup is as follows:

1.75gb DDR Ram
XFX 9600GT XXX 512MB (Running linux 32-bit 180.22 drivers)
WindowsXP/LinuxMint dualboot
230gb/160gb Master/Slave - Mint installed on 160gb slave
Creative X-Fi Xtreme-Gamer
Logitech G15 USB gaming keyboard
Cheap Dynex wired USB mouse.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jngdwe

Re: Horrible performance after reboot. possibly cpu related.

Post by jngdwe »

I just realized that it was the first reboot ever after the installation, i also had installed the updates. everything including geforce 180.22 and my x-fi audio drivers was working, and compiz fusion with advanced effects. whatever happened after the reboot messed it up.
Jngdwe

Problem solved

Post by Jngdwe »

I figured out what was wrong, its appearently related to the cpu freq settings, it seems to want to run at 1ghz instead of the 2.2ghz that its supposed to be. i force it to run at max and it is fine. Problem solved, but i don't know how to make it do this automatically on startup

Return to “Hardware Support”